17 year old wants credit card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dave, Jun 5, 2000.

1. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I am 17, and have graduated from High School. I am already employed. I will be working for a year before college. I would like to start building my credit, and I would like a credit card. Are there any credit cards that are issued to a person who is under 18?

Thanks

2. Mrs. Lipch

Mrs. Lipch Guest

Providian Visa classic is a go

Yes. You can visit www.providian.com and apply for a Providian Visa Classic. It is a great card for young people just starting out and it will give you many added benefits such as rental car insurance and free extra cards for any authorized users such as your parents, brothers, friend, whoever you choose.

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

RE: 17 year old wants credit c

Most issuers will not give you a credit card until you are 18 years of ago because you are not legally capable of entering into a binding contract until you do turn 18. In the meantime, you could be added to one of your parent's cards as an authorized user. Most banks (rightly or wrongly) report authorized users to the CRAs.

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Providian Visa classic is

My Providian account agreement says that they may charge "up to $18" for additional cards. This was not in the application, but in the agrreement they refuse to send you until you get approved for the card.

5. Lorrie

Lorrie Guest

Capital One has a card for high schoolers - even though you graduated, that might the way to go.

6. David

David Well-Known Member

Right. Capital One does have a "high school" credit card, but you will be required to have a guarantor. This might be the best start, because without any credit, you will have a difficult time obtaining an unsecured card from most lenders. When I turned 18, I was able to get Aria and NextCard. Aria can be expensive because your credit picture (or lack thereof) will qualify you for the Persona account. But through the art of negotiation, have them credit the ricidulous processing and annual fees! Good Luck! If you start off on the right foot, it's a wonderful feeling the be easily approved for credit even 5 or 6 months down the line!!