1ST PREMIER BANK IS AN INSULT!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Hi to all.

Last February, in an effort to get my credit back on track, I applied for, and was granted, a card from 1st Premier. My starting credit limit was $400; six months later, it was raised to a whopping $500...and I had to pay a $25 fee for that...and yesterday I received a congratulatory notice in the mail that I've been granted a $50 increase.

hehehehe This bank's generosity is overwhelming, isn't it? Whatever am I going to do with all of that extra credit! Of course, I've had no late pays ever with 1st Premier and I've never exceeded my credit limit.

1st Premier is so stingy! Throughout this past year, both Citibank and Capital One have granted me gold cards with generous limits. My gold card from Cap One has a limit of $3,000 and Citibank has generously granted me a limit of $18,000.

Obviously, I need to cancel my card with 1st Premier and I'll do that just as soon as February rolls around. That will be my one year mark and I'll happily ditch the card then.

Does anyone have a more positive experience with 1st Premier? Or perhaps this so-called bank doesn't issue credit much above $500.

Thanks for listening and letting me vent.

Donna

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: 1ST PREMIER BANK IS AN INS

Try this one...lowest credit line on other cards $7,500...

FIRST USA give me what??? $500

Needless to say, I refused the card, and told them what they could do with their $500 CREDIT LINE!!!

DUMP 1st Premier, you don't need it!

3. CCMax

CCMax Guest

Drop 'em like a bad habit. I have never encountered such shark tactics by a supposedly legitimate company. Had them, $400 limit opened in 96. Everything went fine until I let their huge annual fee take me over the limit. It was definitely my fault to start, but they got unbelievably greedy and refused to work with me even though I had been "good" up until that point. I scrambled to pay down, but never got out of the "late,over-the-limit" fees quandary. Finally I closed and did a complete payoff and they are still incorrectly reporting the account to my CR. I would dispute, information would change (actually dropped off two CRs), and then a month later they will have reported something different. I forsee them having to settle a few lawsuits in the future. Caveat Emptor!!!!

CC

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

George,

Of course, you did the right thing. I wouldn't have accepted the $500 lmit either.

I was just angry with 1st Premier because I've been a good customer, paid their outrageous fees and this is all the reward I get? $500? And I didn't even request this last increase. It just came in the mail on Saturday. I should think this bank would have a little more faith in their customers, especially after an excellent one-year history. $50??? I should at least think I would have gotten $100 but that's okay because I always have the option of canceling.

Thanks.

Donna

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had such a rough experience with 1st Premier. This bank really is awful! I've never been late, over the limit or anything -- And a $50 iincrease is my reward?

Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope you'll be able to get the information showing correctly on your credit reports.

Donna

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Yeah i always get their pre-approved letters. they suck ass. I wouldnt recommend them to anyone. Might as well get a 1:1 ratio secured card, you'll be better off after the first year :)

7. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

They suck. I have 3 credit cards I tryed to get one from them, I applied and then called to check the status of my card and they said hey could offer me a secued card. I was like no thats. I don't like this company at all.

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Sam,

You're right. Thinking back, a secured card probably would have been better. But at least I have a year of timely payments and a positive trade line showing on all three credit reports. True, this was a rather expensive lesson but I'm planning to cancel the 1st Premier Card in February. That's when I will have had it a year.

Thanks.

Donna

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hi Donna,

Sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating that must be. All that hard work and in return NADA! When I was exploring what cards to get, I decided to bypass 1st Premier. They just seemed too cheezee for me. I did hear both good and bad reactions from people. I guess I just like a for sure thing and they didn't seem to be.

10. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the words of support.

Your intuition concerning the 1st Premier Card was right on target. At least they have a toll free number (which was one of the reasons I went with them) and the customer service reps are pleasant.

On the negative side, this bank charges outrageous interest rates and fees and they add insult to injury by not showing trust in their good customers.

Fortunately, the timely payments I made improved my credit standing so I can console myself with that. Something positive did result from my 1st Premier Experience.

Donna

11. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh how I relate!

This was my first credit card post bk. It was secured. I had this card for two years. They never unsecured it and only raised my limit $100!

When I cancelled the card, I was sooooo happy. Though,I still haven't got my money back yet. I cancelled in November. I think I have to wait 3 months. Gonna have to look at the terms again!

Kelly

12. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Kelly,

Good luck getting your money back. By now, I would think you should have received your refund.

My card wasn't secured. Thank goodness but this bank is definitely a rip off! Let us know if you actually get a check in the mail. They're waiting, I'm sure, to make sure they earn every dime of interest.

Donna

13. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

How about Capital One?

Sorry to hear about any problems with First Premier, but it really wasn't that big a mistake. You had to get something going. The only error would be not closing the account now, as soon as it looks respectable.

I'm really amazed and pleased that you got $3000 out of Capital One. My Capital One card is like your First Premier card. After 14 months, I'm still not over $400. I wanted to cancel before December and avoid another $59 annual fee, but didn't quite have the rsources to pay it off this time around. Oh well, it looks better if I keep it open for two years...

14. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: How about Capital One?

If you have been good for the 14 months, try applying for a Visa Gold. Same thing here, started with secured mastercard $49.00 annual fee/$300 limit. $500 in increases in 2 years. Applied on line and got Gold $2200 limit. I will however, keep the Mastercard, It was my first card.

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Richguy,

If truth be told, I have two Cap one cards, a Visa classic and a Visa Gold, and I'm coming close to canceling the Visa classic.

Like you, the credit limit on my classic hasn't gone up much at all. Back in 96, I started out with $1,000 and I'm only at $1,500 now. Yes, the interest rate is high and I do pay an annual fee. What's making it hard to cancel this card is that it's my oldest trade line.

But about the Cap One gold...I got a pre approval for it in the mail. Temptation got the better of me so I aplied. The result was a gold card with a $500 limit. Thre months later, without any request from me, a letter came in the mail saying that I had been granted a $3,000 limit and I was even able to call to get the interest rate lowered to 16%.

The classic is very tough to get Cap One moving on but maybe you can get the gold. Limit increases with that card seem to come much easier.

Good luck.

Donna

16. B

B Guest

I have had pretty good luck with CAP 1, I started out with a $200 classic, 2 months later went to $300 then 6 months after that I went to $400, I then got a letter in the mail upgrading my classic to a gold card with a $500 increase for a total of $900 in 1 year, I imagine the increases will start rolling in with the gold card.

17. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

B--

Did you have to call for the increase to $300 on your classic, or did it just "show up" in your account?

Cheers,
    Cindy

18. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I got a secured card for $99 deposit.

At Month 2 i got $100 increase.

at month 8 i got a $200 increase, and a $300 special credit line.

At month 9 i got pre-approved $500 visa gold card.

My credit sucks a$$.

Their customer support has always been top notch.

Cept they try to spam me with stupid offers every time i call them :)

19. randy

randy Guest

Donna I could have wrote your post, they did the same to me , except I also got a whooping $25.00 increase for no fee. I am waiting till next month (feb) it will be one year and I'am going ditch this card like a bad habit.

20. B

B Guest

I requested the increases to $300 and $400.