1st prime card- please advise

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by aross79, Sep 10, 2001.

1. aross79

aross79 Member

After two years in the subprime underworld I think I'm ready to move on to a better life...
    I am establishing credit for the first time, I have a Sterling secured for 2 years, Providian gold for 1 year, Macys for 1 year and Amex green for 6 months. All with perfect payment records. I'd like to dump sterling or providian for a prime visa/mc. What's a good card to start with? I'd love a rewards card (preferably miles) but if it's beyond my reach I don't want to bother with it. I don't want to waste inquiries for nothing.

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Have you tried the AAdvantage cards from Citibank?? You may also want to keep your oldest account until you others mature in age.

3. aross79

aross79 Member

equifax score 620-640

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

AA Advantage.

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

"SILVER" AAdvantage. NOT WORLD....

go here to apply: http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cardserv/worldcard/aasilver.htm

If you get instant approval, print out all account info and immediately apply for "GOLD" using same info (i.e. annual income, years at residence, etc.) that you put on the Silver application.

http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cardserv/worldcard/aagold.htm

If you recieve both cards, wait until they come in the mail and then combine them. That's what I did. Both cards came at the same time. I activated the gold and then called the number on the back to combine the silver. It was done immediately.

6. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Chase Classic and Citi AA

7. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

What kind of credit did you have when you got AMEX green? I'd love to try for that or gold in a year or so......

I, with an inflated score of 608 and actual 534 on EQ, was denied Citi AA Advantage silver. However, I wrote them a letter using Planet Feedback, explaining that my medical collections were almost all from when I was underage and that the few derogs are over 2 years old, I was a college student, and really wanted the card.

Instead of a "sorry try later" reply, I returned home from the late shift last night and got a "welcome" letter and the card should be here any day.

So try it. Your scores and tradelines sound good, and if you get denied, you can either call (most people have done this but I'm phone shy) or PF.

Good luck!

Steph