2002 Toyota 4Runner Gas Consumption

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by ALAN, Oct 13, 2002.

1. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

Is it me or does this vehicle just eat gas up. I know it uses 87 octane but it seems as if you can actually see the gas needle drop as you drive. Does the fact of the engine being new have a factor to play in low gas mileage? Does the engine have to to get some miles on it to break it in before you can start seeing improvements? As of now, the truck has 500 miles on it. It seems to hold around 16 gallons in the tank and you end up paying around $25 to fill the tank and you average around 300 miles on one tank. Is this normal or will this improve once the engine ages a bit? Also, the gas light seems to come on just barely below 1/4 of a tank. Can't you drive another 50 miles or so before it really needs to be refueled? I say this because the light came on, but when I pulled into a gas station to fill up, the light went off. and it was not quite near empty. Anyone own a 3rd generation runner like a 2002 4WD model that has any thoughts on this? Please give me some advice, I'm desperate! Other than the gas consumption issue, it's a great truck, it's built tough, very reliable, bulletproof engine, and very dependable. If you are looking for a great SUV, go with a Toyota 4Runner!

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the gas mileage on the Toyota is about right. I have an Isuzu and it averages 300 miles on a full tank and it costs between $20-25 to fill up. It's the price we pay for driving an SUV. :)

Dani

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WISH I GOT 18.75 MPG ON MY TANK!!!

4. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Well, I LOVE my new Liberty, Buuuuuuuutttttt, I have to admit, it sucks the gas. I guess if you buy a truck or SUV with a V-6, you've got no right to complain. I haven't really calculated the amount it's getting, 'cause I don't really want to know.
    Anna

"IT'S A JEEP THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND."

5. tnobles

tnobles Well-Known Member

I have an Explorer mine averages about 11 miles to the gallon (that is according to the computer anyway) My motor only has about 300 miles on it (Ford put a new motor in it b/c it was recalled) I have to put about $10 everysingle day just to drivewithin a 10 mile vicinity of my home. It also takes about $40 to fill my tank up.

6. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

tnobles

You say you get about 11 miles to the gallon. You have the V8 Explorer don't you? Ten dollars a day for a ten mile radius, that adds up pretty quick. I guess I'm doing a little bit better. I drive 50 miles a day round trip from work to home and I fill up the Runner about once a week for around $25. I'm getting used to it now though, it's not all that bad.