24 y/o & destroyed credit-pls help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nycguy, Sep 9, 2003.

1. nycguy

nycguy Member

Hedwig,

When TU sends me the information of the person they contacted at the CA, should I then contact that person at the CA to verify it?

Thanks!

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

What you described several posts above is reaging. It's illegal.

Send validation letters to those CAs right away. Just one that says something like "I pulled my credit report and found an entry from you. I've never done business with you, and I know nothing about this account. Please send proof that this information is correct." Or something similar. Keep it simple for now, you don't want them to know what you know.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Let's see what TU says and what's happened with the CA first, but yes, that's one way to catch them in a violation.

There have been many people here who have gone to the creditor (more often an OC) and been told that no one from the CRA has contacted them. They then get a letter to that effect and use it against the CRA.

But it may depend upon what's happening with the validation request when you'll want to contact them.

4. nycguy

nycguy Member

Thanks, Hedwig!!

I just sent the OC Validation letter to the OC, so we'll see what happens, since that tradeline also came back verified from TU.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Send TU a procedural request letter on that one as well. OCs are often easier to work with to find out if they really verified or not.

6. nycguy

nycguy Member

Procedural Request letter is on the way to TU! I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks!

nycguy

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

They would NOT agree to delete the negative remarks if I paid.
    My Equifax CR shows a phone bill that went to collections, but now paid in full.
    What can I do about the two accounts that are unpaid and in collections if the CA won't delete the remarks upon payment?
    =================
    Go the validation route.
    If the Ca violates you can use it to force them to delete and never pay them a cent.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

8. lbrown59

1) First, I will send a validation letter to the collection agency (please see my question on this point below). I'm hoping that they don't validate the debt and it ends here.
    2) 1 week later I will send a dispute letter to CRA.
    3) Cease and desist letter to CA.
    4) Estoppel letter to CA.
    5) No proof , intent to sue and complaint letter to CA and OC.
    nycguy
    1*There is only about a 5 % chance they can validate.Violations are what you are hoping for.
    2*Not a week but when you get the green card back .There is a good reason for this.
    3*Nope no Cease and sue.
    4*30days after they got the green card.
    5*Complaint goes to AG FTC BBB ETC.

9. lbrown59

Re: Re: 24 y/o & destroyed credit-p

1*I've just pulled my CR's and several of my old accounts from 96/97 are now showing open in 2001/2002! Is this what you mean by re-aged?
    2*These are all CA's I've never spoken to, the date hasn't legally changed has it? Thank you for your time!
    NervousNuB-------------
    -----------------------_________----------
    1*looks so
    2*it's not legal to change the date.

10. nycguy

nycguy Member

A few weeks back, I requested a Procedural Letter from TU. I've received their reply and I don't think what I've received is a Procedural Letter, though. It sounds like they read my letter as "what is the contact information of my creditors?"

The letter reads,

"If you would like to contact a creditor regarding the information they have reported to TransUnion about you, you may contact them at the address and telephone number below.

<list of ALL creditors (including ones they didn't contact during the validation process)>

They also included a letter with their Policy of Information Retention

What's next? I really don't think what they sent me is a Procedural Letter.

If what they sent me is a Procedural Letter, then what is the next step?

Thanks!

nycguy

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I think I would write them a letter, reference their letter to you, and say something like:

I did not request information so that I could contact a creditor. You stated in your letter of XXX that you received validation of an account that I disputed. In accordance with the FCRA, I am requesting that you provide me the information on how and with whom you validated this information, as it is incorrect.

Don't show how much you really know about the FCRA or what they're required to do, just that you know they have to tell you their verification methods.

Wait and see what they say.

Have you heard anything from the CA or OC on your other letters?

12. nycguy

nycguy Member

Thanks Hedwig! I'm sending that letter to TU right now!

I have not heard anything from the OC or CA, but tomorrow I am sending a third, threatening letter to the CA.

Thanks again!

nycguy

13. lbrown59

Re: Re: 24 y/o & destroyed credit-pls help!

The intent to sue letter rite?

14. nycguy

nycguy Member

Absolutely, lbrown59!

It's been over 10 weeks since I sent the first letter to the CA, and 5 weeks since I sent the second letter.

I did not receive a response to my OC letter. I am going to send another one of those as well.

nycguy

15. nycguy

nycguy Member

I have great news!

TU sent a letter that says the two remaining negative tradelines (one from the OC, one from the CA) were deleted! All of my credit reports no longer have any negative marks!

I want to express my gratitude to everyone that helped me during this journey. I could not have done it without you and creditnet.

The only thing I have on my credit reports now is one tradeline for a Citibank Mastercard, where I am an authorized user (the account is always in good standing and has been open since 1997).

I think I'm going to apply for a card from a retailer and see what happens. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I already have around 2 hard inquiries on each credit report from earlier this year (that's how I found out about this mess).

Thanks!!!

nycguy

16. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

I don't know about retail cards. You might want to think about applying for your own Citi card. As far as retail, depends where you shop. My favorites are Hechts (a May company store) and Wal*Mart. But I've had them a while and don't know how hard they are to get.

17. KevPochop

KevPochop Well-Known Member

With you only being an authorized user on an account you wont get another bank card (visa or Mastercard) until you establish more credit. Apply for a gas card. My suggestion is Exxon. They are very easy to get.

On the other hand, set up a secured card? Chase has a good secured program.

18. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

B of A will probably like you. Citi AA card will like you. Have you checked your scores?

19. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member