?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rene mendo, Dec 1, 2000.

1. rene mendo

rene mendo Guest

is it true that as a consumer i dont have to show picture id when paying with a credit card. per a new law

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IT IS AN OLD LAW IN SOME STATES,
    AND IT VIOLATES VISA AND MASTERCARD POLICY TO ASK FOR A DRIVER'S
    LICENSE...BUT if you refuse to sign the back signature strip, you give up the right to not show your driver's license or state issued picture id!!!

3. ng

ng Guest

I wish I knew that sooner.
    I blew up in a store (Deb's)when they asked for my drivers license while paying w/ my cc.
    That's why I got a Credit Card for, you sure can't write a check without 3-4 Ids.
    They claimed they were doing me a favor.
    They did I do not shop there anymore.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE SIGNATURE STRIP WAS PUT ON THE CARD FOR A FEW IMPORTANT REASONS...
    1. BY SIGNING THE CARD YOU ACCEPT THE CREDIT CARD TERMS.
    2. TO COMPARE WITH THE SIGNED RECEIPT.
    3. MANY CARDS NOW ARE SAYING "VOID IF NOT SIGNED"
    4. SOME BUSINESSES INCLUDING THE U.S.P.S. REFUSE ALL UNSIGNED CARDS!!!!
    5. IF YOUR UNSIGNED CARD IS LOST...SOMEBODY WILL SIGN IT FOR YOU, AND USE IT TILL IT IS REPORTED LOST/STOLEN!!!
    6. SIGNED CARDS PROTECT THE BANK, THE BUSINESS, VISA/MASTERCARD, AND THE CUSTOMER.

5. ng

ng Guest

I always sign the back.

6. John Shimm

John Shimm Guest

It's true that you don't have to show your driver's license to anybody other than a police officer (when pulled over) or other related governmental agency.

BUT ...

A merchant has the right to refuse to do business with anyone, provided that they are not discriminating against race, creed, age, etc.

They are doing it to protect you, your credit rating as well as their liability if the charge is fradulent.

rene mendoza wrote:
    -------------------------------
    is it true that as a consumer i dont have to show picture id when paying with a credit card. per a new law