60 days is widely accepted in court

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by snakeman, Sep 15, 2003.

1. snakeman

snakeman Well-Known Member

In talking to attroney John Heath from Lexignton Law, I was taken back by something he had said. In response to my own question regarding the 30 days required by law for the CRA's to respond to a dispute, he stated that 60 days is widely accepted as the timeframe that one should give a CRA. He went on to say that 30 days is what the law states, though typically we give them 60 days to respond.

I am relying on the 30 days rule for my own purposes of validation as well as disputing. Must I now change my way of thinking?

I thought maybe he was referring to sending out a second letter when they don't respond or adequately respond in 30 days. He said that is not what he was referring to.

Whatcha think?

SnakeMan

2. snakeman

Not meaning to fuse to seperate posts here but I read the link provided in one of the posts which is the link to Collection Industry. In that forum, The Estoppel letter was explained as a BS letter! I say this because it is widely stated here to send out an Estoppel letter when the CA don't reply. I say that based on your above resonse to my thread stating that the CA does not have to respond at all. I am freaking confused. I think I'm getting conflicting stories here. Please help me understand.

This is what I am doing, am I o.k.?

1.validate sent to CA
    2.dispute sent to CRA

Thats as far as I've gotten other than TU resonse to me stating "Frivolous" and I replied with frivolous letter.

Ohhhh Boy!

SnakeMan

3. pd11604

pd11604 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: 60 days is widely accepted in court

1.send validation request to CA CMRRR - Wait 30 days from time you receive green card back

2.send second request CMRRR demanding validation giving them 15 more days . In addition dispute TL with CRA

3.After 15 days send estoppel letter to CA if they have failed to provide validation

CA does not have to respond to either the validation letter or estoppel letter, but as jlynn says they cannot continue collection efforts if they have not provided validation 30 days after your request

the logic here is that you are creating a paper trail of prima facia evidence that the CA has violated portions of the FDCPA if they do any of many collection practices (call / contact you, update TL's with CRA's, hard pulls of you CR, etc)

armed with your evidence, you have "leverage" to demand they delete derogatory imformation, or
    face lawsuits

4. snakeman

Re: Re: Re: 60 days is widely accepted in court

Finally something that makes sense to me. Thank you very much for writing that down for me!
    I will do what you have suggested except for sending out the dispute letters to the CRA's. I sent those letters out a week after sending out the 1st validation letters.

Think that'll be o.k.?

SnakeMan

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. Just take a deep breath, relax, and wait for the (non) results to come in so you can sue them.

6. snakeman

If the answer is 42 then the question for me must be..."How many violations will I have on all three CRA's in three months?"

Thanks for the verbal valium!

SnakeMan

7. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I like that interpretation of my signature. Actually, it comes from a science fiction book called "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. It is part of a 5-book trilogy. I know, a trilogy is three, but things aren't always what they appear. He wrote three books then added two more later.

Don't confuse him with Scott Adams of "Dilbert" fame. Douglas is (or rather, was, as he passed away several years ago) British.

And 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. But you need to read the books to get the full impact.

8. snakeman

42 indeed!

Thanks chap!

SnakeMan

9. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: 60 days is widely accepted in court

If I remember correctly from friends that quoted Hitchhicker's on a daily basis, I tried to read it but it kind of loses something when you know it well enough to know what's going to happen next, they never were able to prove that 42 was the answer to "Life, the universe and everything"... thus for many years I've said "42 is the answer to life the universe and everything... except that the person who wrote 42 was dyslexic and meant to write 24, thus they were never able to prove it..."

I actually made it about a 1/3 of the way into book 5, I have the 5 book bound edition... or one of them anyway.

10. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: 60 days is widely a

42 is the answer, but what is the question? After millions of years of computation, the Vaughns destroyed the computer that was trying to answer the question of what is the question to build an interstellar bypass.

It's been years since I read the "Increasingly inaccuratly named Hitchhikers Guide Trilogy" Every time I see your tagline I would think of it.

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Yes, 42 was the answer, but what was the question. At one point in the book, it appears that the question is what is 6 times 9.

One of my friends proposed that maybe he was using base 13 (6 * 9=54, 54 is 4 thirteens and 2 ones). So when Douglas Adams was on a talk show one time, I called and asked him if that's what it meant. He got a little excited and said no, the point was just that it was wrong.

But you're right, we never did find out what the real question was.

12. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

I kind of figured that it was just wrong, but it's been too fun all these years to answer the question of "What's the life..." with "24, cause the guy who wrote it was dyslexic". Drives some Hitchhiker fans over the edge, makes others think :)

13. rhondak

rhondak Well-Known Member

The question was what is 6 times 7.

When they built the next computer to figure out the question (Earth), they got the question out of a bag of rocks.

(I'm a big Douglas Adams fan - have read them all - most more than once!)

Do you know where your towel is?

:)

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Of course. I always travel with a towel.

But it wasn't what is 6 times 7, it was what is 6 times 9. That was his whole point--that it was the wrong question for the answer.

15. rhondak

hehehe Well, it has been a couple of years since I read it last. :)

I actually have a leather bound copy of the whole "trilogy".

Have you also read the Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul?

16. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Whenever that happens always revert to what Butch says. LOL

To clarify: the language of the Estoppel letter in the sample section is the problem, not the Estoppel Doctrine itself.

Snake, have you studied "What Is Validation" (link below)?

It speaks a lot about "Prima Facie Evidence", a concept you should at this point get a handle on.

To cut a long story short, the "Doctrine of Presumption" dictates that if I say something, it can be presumed to be true UNTIL you object to it.

It IS this very concept that creates the language at the bottom of your first dunnig notice:

"If you have not disputed within 30 days this debt will be ASSUMED to be valid".

See?

PS. Sounds like it's time for an Estoppel discussion.

17. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

:)

Every time I see the name "Snake" I think of Snake Blisken, the one eyed hero that saves the earth.

Somethin about a prison camp of the future on Manhattan Island.

LOL

18. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

rhondak, yes I've read them, but it's been a long time since I read any of them. Maybe I should do that some day.

I don't have a leather bound copy but I have an autographed copy, not sure if it's the trilogy or Don't Panic.

19. rhondak

They are the only books that make me laugh so hard I have to stop reading until I stop laughing.

20. snakeman

You of course are reffering to the infamous Metal Gear guy, Solid Snake, aka Snake Plisken.

Getting back to the question at hand; I agree with your take on the presumption that if you do not answer then we assume the fact in question to be true.

Athough I agree, just for conjecture, does it not state just the opposite in the FDCPA whereby it states something like "not disputing a debt does not show that the consumer is owning up to or agreeing with the debt."

I love how this stuff favors us almost to the point of prejudice!

Good Reading!

SnakeMan

BTW FYI, SnakeMan is my game name on the wildly popular PS2 game "Socom U.S. Navy Seals".
    It is a game that is playable online through your cable modem and T.V. And yes, I came up with the name based on my favorite action hero who has saved the earth from Metal Gear since right around the mid 1980's! (starting on the Atari 2600) remember that?