A New Low For Equifax

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Doris K., Mar 28, 2001.

1. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

My nextdoor neighbor showed me the darndest thing I've ever seen on her Equifax report. She has a collection listed that lists the creditor, amount, and the agency as "unknown". All that is listed is an amount of $850, and the collection on this mystery account was placed in December of 2000.

When she first showed it to me, I told her not to worry about it because I could help her write a dispute letter, and that there was no way in hell they could verify a debt from an unknown creditor. Naturally, we initiated the dispute. Strangely, my neighbor received a letter from Equifax claiming that they had VERIFIED the debt. She called them to find out who they could have called to verify it. They had no idea because the creditor is listed as "unknown". Still, they held firm that they verifyed it.

What now? GEEZ!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Ask for the address and phone # and name of the person they spoke to so you can contact them yourself...

Or just use this address and phone #...

ATTN: SIR/MAM UNKNOWN @ CREDITOR
    XXXX UNKNOWN STREET
    UNKNOWN CITY, UNKNOWN STATE XXXXX-XXXX

PHONE# XXX-XXX-XXXX
    :)

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Doris,

The FCRA spells out specific instructions that will allow your friend to determine exactly who and how the debt was verified.... Here is a link that details the law governing your friends right to the verifier of the information (brief snipet below), and a sample letter that should be sent immediately...

Good Luck,

Paul

Statute FCRA Section 611(a)(7)
    (7) Description of reinvestigation procedure. A consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer a description referred to in paragraph (6)(B)(iii) by not later than 15 days after receiving a request from the consumer for that description.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra.htm#611

Sample Letter (Change to suit your style/situation)..

It is not unusual that the first letter does not quickly resolve anything. It is now time to send the second letter. In this letter you again provide all the information you gave in the first letter, and it further states that you wish to request a re-investigation of the matter, and that you would like to have information from the credit bureau as to whom they contacted at the lenderâ??s offices.
    Date:

YOUR FULL NAME
    YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS
    CITY, STATE, ZIP
    YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

The Credit Bureau
    Address
    City, State, Zip

To Whom It May Concern:

I understand that an investigation concerning the entry below that appeared on my credit report was undertaken. However, I am still in disagreement with this entry, as it certainly is incorrect. Would you please re-investigate.

Please refer to my previous letter, a copy of which is enclosed for your convenience.

Furthermore, would you please send me the name and business address of each individual with whom you verified the information as per my previous letter.

Please forward me an updated version of my credit report, after you have conducted your investigation.

I am still in disagreement with the following entry:

¨ Entry details:
    ¨ Credit Report Date:

Should you not receive verification within 30 days, I expect the above entry to be permanently deleted from my credit report.

Sincerely,

Your Name
    Your Signature

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Doris,

Time for your neighbor to make some easy money. Sue the bastards.

Yet another option to call them and say: Since you faked the investigation and don't have a shred of verification to present in court, I'm making one last goodwill attempt to resolve the matter without litigation. Worked for me w/ Experian.

Saar

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Doris:) Nice to hear from you.

Yes I also am having a problem with EQuifax myself, I think they will sink as low as they can, they are the WORST company out there from my experince:(

Mom