A question about old Discover

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

A closed $5,000 Discover card account still shows as open on Experian and Equifax, (ie. paid on time, never late R1). It shows as inactive on trans Union. The account was opened in 1989. Las tactivity is 1996.

Should I notify TU only that the account is closed. Or all 3 CRA's.

It looks to me that this account is probably helping my Experian and Equifax FICO scores as it appears open and is 12 years old.

P.S. Discover confirmed today that it is not an open account.

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: A question about old Disco

Jim,

I'm just wondering...Since the Discover account is in great shape...paid as agreed and never late...and if it's helping your score...what about getting in touch with Discover to see if it can be reopened. The credit limit is good and you obviously have a good credit history with them.

I don't know all the particulars of your credit situation now; but, since you left Discover in good standing, is there a chance they would grant the accommodation?

Anyway, this was just a thought. If only I had an account in excellent standing for 12 years. I'm jealous!

Donna

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks Donna

Discover informed me this morning that I have to apply all over again as I voluntarily closed it in 1996.

FICO scores are based partly on length of credit history so I suspect it is not in my interest to close the account where it is shown as open. But the inactive account is another matter. I really don't know what to do there.

P.S. My credit is improving every month with my 7 open tradelines.

4. Cathy

Cathy Well-Known Member

RE: Thanks Donna

If you decide to have the reporting agencies report it as closed make sure it says closed by consumer