a quick ? about "high credit"

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by joey1123, Sep 27, 2003.

1. joey1123

joey1123 Well-Known Member

If one has a credit limit of $2000.00. There current balance is $100.00 , yet the history "high Balance" is $1999.00 does that look bad that you went that close to the credit limit. Or does it look good that you paid it off?...Always wondered that.

2. jaytee

jaytee Well-Known Member

it looks good that you only owe 5% on that account. it gives you a low utilization ratio. but can anyone tell me if it hurts your score to have the high balance be over your limit even if you payed it down to 5% of the limit?

3. joey1123

joey1123 Well-Known Member

Thats a good question. Like if your limit was 2k and ur high balance was 2100 would that hurt ur score?....I would liek to know that one too. I would assume that the computer would calculate something outta wack there but how many points? who knows

4. trish6103

trish6103 Well-Known Member

I was wonderingthe exact same thing! Can anyone help?

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

any one

6. direct

direct Well-Known Member

From my experience, score goes up when balance goes down regardless if high credit was above the assigned credit limit. On average, score goes up by 1 point for every $1000 paid down on balance, so by example, if you owed $49,000 on all of your credit cards, paid it in full, you will see a 49 point rise on your score (give or take a few points), inquiries drop score 3 points each and negative entries such as a 30 day late or collection entry drops score around 26 points. Never saw a score go way down due to a reported high credit over the assigned limit.

direct

7. jaytee

jaytee Well-Known Member

bump

to see if anyone else has come up with answers about how much "high credit" effects FICO. of course capital one doesnt count here since they dont provide the cl.

8. 8004me

8004me Well-Known Member

Who knows for sure but in the Cap1 scenario Fico picks up the HC because there is no CL field.
    But it would stand to reason that for example if a credit line was lowered then the HC would remain higher than the current CL.
    I doubt that Fico would use the HC figure in computations and would use the current CL for the averages with the caveat that the CL field is populated.
    I have several accounts that were near the limit and never seemed to take a hit for them in history only if they were reported with the current balance.

9. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

I doubt that high credit over credit limit is a problem. Anything's possible, of course, but I've got that on my DMB account and never seen it anywhere as a negative in my score analysis by different software. And since I've seen EVERY imaginable negative message ("you don't call your mother enough!"), I don't think it's taken into consideration.

This week.

Also, if your credit limit was lowered it does not give an accurate negative history.

Has anyone verified that FICO picks up on the Cap1 high credit as limit? I can't see that's happening on my CRs.

10. jaytee

jaytee Well-Known Member

it seems like even though capital one reports only high credit and not credit limit, that it still doesnt use that for the utilization percent. so im in favor of saying that cap 1 doesnt play a roll in the "balance to credit limit(high credit in their case)" scenerio. it does however play a roll in the "total balance of revolving debt."

11. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member