A site to get your FICO scores

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bbarlow, Sep 1, 2000.

1. bbarlow

bbarlow Guest

Anyone know if this is legit?http://www.creditmedic.com/default.htm

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: A site to get your FICO sc

Hmmm, I went to the site, I don't think scores are available to the public yet and I don't think they are able to give you your true scores, I emailed them and asked, I'll see if I get a reply.

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

This place is actually something called "The Loan Center of California", so that could actually be a legitimate home equity or second mortgage lender, or even a primary mortgage broker that's making some extra money by doing credit repair. If so they can get the FICO scores. Fair Isaac does permit the disclosure of scores to a consumer by a lender "when released in the context of a lending decision." They appear to be skirting this by directly offering consolidated credit reports and scores directly to consumers though. Given that they make you fill out the 'application' form on their site to order, they can always claim that you had indeed applied for something.

4. J. Edgar

It seems okay. I would caution everyone to take their 'helpful information' with a grain of salt. First of all, it's only very general information and all equivocal. "Closing accounts may or may not raise your score." "Paying off a debt may or may not raise your score." "Being late with payments will lower your score.", etc.

In some cases they have inaccurate information such as, "Since the law requires a record of all inquiries into the file to be kept, inquiries can not be removed from a credit report."

We know this isn't true, right Kristi? Generally, the law doesn't require that anything be put on a credit report. It only states how long those items put on a credit report can stay there and be reported to potential creditors.

I know it isn't true anyhow. I just got some inquiries removed from my TransUnion report. The key is to dispute them with the inquirer by demanding to know the permissible purpose they had for requesting the report. Most organizations do not keep track of this information for more than a few months. In addition, some states, like Vermont, require that the consumer explicit permission be obtained before requesting a credit report, except for certain limited exclusions related to law enforcement agencies.

The product that credtmedic.com offers is the standard consolidated credit report that mortgage brokers use. I see no harm in ordering it.

If you want better advice dealing with improving your credit history file, Carreon's website is by far the best, both in term of the number of topics covered and the currency and quality of information provided.

www.carreonandassociates.com

I understand that it's been getting alot of hits from Experian lately, so it must be good stuff.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

"I just got some inquiries removed from my TransUnion report."

Did they move these inquiries to the "unseen by creditor" section of the report, or did they remove them altogether ?

Saar

6. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Well, we know what happened to E-loan for doing the same thing. You know why these guys get away with it? Because they're so small, no one knows about them unlike the E-loan coverage. Even if you apply for a loan, the bureaus don't want the scores out. Lenders will secretly whisper them to you but not put them online.
    And Yes, J.Edgar, we were told Experian was even having meetings about us! Hope they don't lose any sleep over us :)

J. Edgar wrote:
    -------------------------------
    It seems okay. I would caution everyone to take their 'helpful information' with a grain of salt. First of all, it's only very general information and all equivocal. "Closing accounts may or may not raise your score." "Paying off a debt may or may not raise your score." "Being late with payments will lower your score.", etc.

In some cases they have inaccurate information such as, "Since the law requires a record of all inquiries into the file to be kept, inquiries can not be removed from a credit report."

We know this isn't true, right Kristi? Generally, the law doesn't require that anything be put on a credit report. It only states how long those items put on a credit report can stay there and be reported to potential creditors.

I know it isn't true anyhow. I just got some inquiries removed from my TransUnion report. The key is to dispute them with the inquirer by demanding to know the permissible purpose they had for requesting the report. Most organizations do no....

7. J. Edgar

They removed them entirely, if one is to believe the letter that TransUnion sent me. I haven't gotten a copy of my credit report yet to see.

TransUnion's letter stated: "Trans Union has been informed by the above company (MBNA) that you have requested that their recent inquiry be deleted from your credit report. This letter is to confirm that we have complied with your request and removed this company's inquiry from your credit report."

So it's possible to get inquiries deleted, but you have to get the company who made the inquiry to do so.

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

So will this site give accurate fico scores, hmm wonder when they will be told to stop??

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

So will this site give accurate fico scores, hmm wonder when they will be told to stop??

10. J. Edgar

It will be interesting to see what happens now that Fair Isaac has changed their tune about consumer access to credit scores, particularly with the bill pending in CA that would render unenforcable the provisions of their contracts with the CRAs regarding direct consumer disclosure of the scores, since Fair Isaac is located in California.

It's fairly easy to get your own scores anyhow, particular if you have a friend in the mortgage business. If you are willing to spend the inquiry, you can just have them do a pre-approval and get the reports and scores. If they are a good friend, a couple of months later you can have them ask for deletion of the inquiry.

Yes I can just see the Experian lawsuit against Carreon. "Plaintiff claims that defendant is inflicting economic damage on plaintiff by educating consumers regarding their rights granted to them by law and encouraging them to exercise such rights, thereby increasing our costs of operation. Plaintiff's business model is based on consumers complete ignorance about their legal rights and believing they are totally disempowered so they will just accept whatever we tell them, go away and sulk for 7 years."

Whatever they might come up with would wind up sounding alot like one of the SLAPP lawsuits.

11. Tom

Tom Guest

I checked out this site and found that they don't give their address and phone number.The only way you can contact them is by email.

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Their address and phone number is listed at the bottom of the page.

13. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried it? Please let me know how it is. The problem is I get my credit reports
    now, so ordering another would be a waste of money.