About those Discover Pre-appro

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dave, Dec 6, 2000.

1. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Well, my 16-year old brother was over, and happened to pull out his wallet. I noticed he had a Discover Platinum sticker on the inside of the wallet- you know, it says on the letter, "put the sticker on the yes, I accept..."

Apparently, he received a "pre-approval" for a Platinum card from them. WOW! That's pretty bad. Has no credit, works at Burger King, a junior in high school.

Obviously proves Discover solicits by demographics (which don't appear to even be that good!!), not credit.

2. Mil

Mil Guest

RE: About those Discover Pre-a

But there is no gurantee he will get the card , I guess there mkt department send this out every year, I recived the same invitation last week I

3. Mil

Mil Guest

sorry....So i called discover and they told me this is just a invitation not a pre-approved ..just an fyi

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

16 YEAR OLDS CANNOT GET CREDIT WITHOUT CO-SIGNER...HAVE TO 18 YEARS OLD TO SIGN CONTRACT FOR CREDIT.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SORRY DIDN'T PROOF READ...THEY HAVE TO (BE) 18 YEARS OLD...

The spelling and proof reading police will be after me again!!!

6. Eboni

Eboni Guest

16 year olds can get credit

My little brother got a pre-approval from Sears. All he had to do was sign his name. He signed his name and got a Sears card with a 2100 limit.

So it can happen. When he maxed it out and defaulted it was a big mess.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: 16 year olds can get credi

Authorization: I certify that I am at least 18 years of age, that I have read and agreed to all the terms, conditions
    and disclosures on the previous pages and screens, and that everything I have stated on this application is true
    and correct.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM FIRST USA APPLICATION...OTHERS SHOULD HAVE SIMULAR WORDING.

IF SEARS GAVE CREDIT TO A 16-YEAR OLD THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM, BUT UNDER THE LAW, YOU HAVE TO BE 18.

8. Brandon

Brandon Guest

RE: 16 year olds can get credi

Sears would not knowingly give a 16 year old a credit card. There must be some type of wrong information involved with his credit bureau. Even though he is not of legal age to enter a binding contract there are a few exceptions to that rule. They can be held liable for food, clothing and shelter. I'll bet he purchased a few new shirts on that cc.