Accessing "lender's"

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marci, Jan 18, 2001.

1. marci

marci Well-Known Member

My mother owns apartments, and I rent one from her. I have been teaching her about credit related issues including credit scores. I just realized that she can legally pull a credit report on me, since I am legally a tenant.

Neither one of us knows how to go about setting her up for this ability. Will she need to get a tax ID number for her business and does she need a special operating system/computer to do it, or is there a local service who could do it for her?

I'd like to know true credit scores, since I suspect that the scores being released this year by CRA's won't be the "true" or "current" scores, and I'd love for her to be able to pull my report as a soft inquiry.

How do we set this up?

Thanks,

Marci

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Access from your pc.

You'll need a business. Yes.

Secondly, you'll need to contact the sales departments at the various credit bureaus, each, and setup an account with each one, obviously showing need for access as a renter. The rates will be a bit higher for low volume use.

Then you'll need a pc with windows and a modem. The software to pull credit bureau reports, can cost up to $300. Typically more around $99 for each bureau, or $195-200 for a multi-bureau program. You'll also have to apply for access to beacon and other scoring models. The default accounts do not come with it, and are forbidden to request a score. There is another surcharge per report for the scoring model.

Thats about it. How easy they give out accounts, i can't tell you. I used to write software for residential community credit-bureau access , and the procedure is pretty simple for getting new accounts on multi-housing units (apartments of decent size).

You may be better off, getting an account with a "credit reseller" who does the whole shebang, employment verification, evictions check, etc. Reports from them will cost $20-$50 each, and can include scores.

Obviously, if you go direct your report prices will be more in the $3.95 per report range in low quantity.

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

RE: Access from your pc.

Sam,

Thank you for your reply. We will probably go
    the "credit reseller" route, since the apartments only total 4 units. I'll just have my mom get a tax ID number, and I'll pay her for my reports.

Thanks!

4. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Accessing "lender's&q

Qspace.com will show you the lender's version of the report (along with Qpsace graphics), for example you'll only see hard inquiries there; soft ones won't be listed.

For an extra $3-$4, they'd also provide their own score, which some reported to be very close to their actual FICO's.

Pulling a report through Qspace will place a soft inquiry.

Saar

5. the other

the other Well-Known Member

It's not very expensive actual

A friend of mine is a landlord of a four family house. When she was looking for new tenants, she was able to check the applicants credit for a small charge for each one. She also checked additional records like SSN search and eviction records. All of which were quite cheap. I think it was like 10-12 dollars for all three for 1 person.

She did this through our local credit bureau branch.

You might want to check this route out since you mother does not have a lot of units.

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

RE: Accessing "lender's&q

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

Marci