Account deleted score drops 29 pts.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by durango444, Aug 10, 2001.

1. durango444

durango444 Well-Known Member

I disputed a balance on a closed AMEX card, and Equifax deleted the entire account. I went to score power and my score went from 727 to 698. WTF!!

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Why would you dispute a balance on a closed account. Was this account negatively affecting your credit score in some way?

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, I tell ya, I decided to use this little trick of theirs for my benefit. I always valued the fact that Direct Merchant's Bank didn't seem to report. Then, boom! They did it. My hidden credit line was exposed for everyone to see.

I had negotiated a low rate, high limits, and was carrying a pretty good balance because they had given me a special rate for BT. I paid off the balance. Then I waited for them to report again. They didn't. It's been over 6 months. So, I disputed that the balance was not correct.

Voila!! My hidden credit line is hidden again. LOL. I would say, take your disputes about details to the issuer if you want it corrected, but you also want it to stay on your report.

If you want it deleted (hidden lines are wonderful) dispute some little detail and wait for it to disappear.

breeze

4. the other

the other Well-Known Member

A revolving account that is closed, but still showing a balance, negatively affects your balance to limit ratio.

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear this - but not surprised. I did something similar on TU...

One out of 30 positive tradelines(open & closed) was listed as "unrated". I got the impression from the board that there is a negative conotation to "unrated". The account was disputed as "Paid, never late". TU deleted the account so fast it was unbelievable. My score dropped 15 points.

Jim

6. durango444

I guess I will call Equifax on Monday to straighten this out. Any suggestions on how to get the trade line put back on my report?

Thanks

7. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

You have to get the original creditor to put it back on or so they told me. I did that with one Equifax deleted but I have two more to try to get put back on.

8. durango444

Mist,
    Would you be kind enough to share how you went about doing that. I would love to have all the ammo necessary to get that Amex account put back on. I want my 29 pts. back

Thanks