Account numbers on CR?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BruteForce, Nov 19, 2001.

1. BruteForce

BruteForce Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of disputing an entry on my CR and I've run into a snag. The company is asking for an account number, but all the reports I've pulled don't show the full account #. So how the heck do I get this removed when I can't provide that to the company I'm disputing with.

For example:

Typical CC #: 1234 5678 9012 3456

On my CR: 1234 5678 XXXX

I'm at a loss here. :(

2. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

Ask the CRA for the full account number.

If they will not provide it to you, then go to the creditor and ask them if they have an account under your name. If not, then get them to draft something that says that you are not a customer of theirs, never hae been, never applied, etc. Show that to the CRA. That should prove your case.

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I would have to say....Who Cares? They must prove that it belongs to you, so give them as little information as possible. If all you have is a partial account number, then it is going to take them an awful long time to figure out the rest of it in 30 days. I mean...Think of all of the possible numerical configurations they will have to try in order to prove that it DOES belong to you!!! What better way to get it off your reports, right?

4. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

I didnt think of that Erica. Thanks a million :]

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

No problem.... :)

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Erica:
    That's almost exactly what I said in email.

7. BruteForce

BruteForce Well-Known Member

Heh, you people rule!

thx for the info.

8. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I just remembered the right word for that combo thing....permutations. It took me a minute, but that dusty statistics file in my brain finally kicked in...

Bill, glad to see that we are finally on the same page for once. lol

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Me too

10. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Erica. And it's worked for me, too.

Where the heck would *I* get the whole account number if I'm disputing that it's *my* account to begin with.

Went 'round and 'round with TU over this. Duh!

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

It's their job to provide you with the number not your job to provide them with one!

12. lbrown59

13. lbrown59

How much money is in that shoe box you don't have?