accounts on credit report not mine

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tivo1, Aug 19, 2003.

1. tivo1

tivo1 Member

Can someone direct me to the best place and thhings to do about getting two items on my credit report that are not mine.

I think one is a cable bill.. openend in a a town that i no longer live in, and did not live in the town at the time it was opened.

Not sure what the other one was off the top of my head.

Thanks all

BTW i am real new to this.. so if this has been covered could you point me to that..
    Thanks again

2. RichC

RichC Well-Known Member

I had the exact same problem, one a local phone company 'paid collection' and an 'unpaid collection' elsewhere (Boomtown).

First thing I did was get in touch with the original creditors. Made sure they agree that the accounts were not mine. Got names and phone numbers of who I spoke to, etc. For the Phone bill, they referred me to their collection company. Worked it out with them (again names and phone numbers).

Then, on the same day, I called Equifax (the only CR that had it on for me) and disputed the items, provided them the information I obtained from the OCs.

30 days later, both items gone.

Course, I could have just been lucky. lol

If you are concerned about the CR response, I'd probably call or file via on-line, but follow it up with a letter detailing all of the information obtained from the creditor/collector, referring to their dispute #.