Addicted to applying!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Aug 19, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

I need major help. I have 1 inquiry in July on Trans Union and the following others:

Equifax

1 from May 2000 (disputed with creditor)
    1 from June 2001 (collection inquiry) disputed with agency
    9 more in the past month (1 disputed with creditor, another getting ready for a second dispute with creditor)

Experian

6 in the past month (3 disputed with Ex)
    1 collection inquiry from February 2000 (disputed with Ex)
    4 soft inquiries for pre approved offers and routine checks

I am also missing several inquiries: MBNA, Capital One, Target (approved online but nothing yet), Express, and Radio Shack.

So I need help to stop applying for cards but am not sure how to try! I guess I keep hoping one day my score will fluctuate and help me get a card.

I have a secured MC with Sterling with a $500 limit and a Target with $200, that's it.

What I'm asking for is help to end my application addiction.

Steph

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I wouldnt know what to tell ya....lol

3. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

Hmmm---

For the easiest way to stop applying, read the posts on this board and take a peek at how much trouble some of us have gotten into by actually being granted credit in the past.

You mentioned yesterday that your familty has a history of being called on by creditors, and that should serve as a reminder to you.

Plus, is those inqs do show up soon, you may curtail your app spree.

good luck

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It doesn't help your score to apply over and over. It is better to wait, work with the cards you already have to get higher limits and lower rates. As these cards age and you show a good payment history, your score will go up, and one of these days it will be so high you can pick and choose.

Wouldn't that be better than applying over and over and getting turned down?

breeze

5. author_22

I see what everyone is saying. :) I just hate this whole situation and see the horror of credit problems.

Steph

6. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Steph,

I will be your credit sponsor. I will even send you a gold coin in an e-mail every 30 days for your "sobriety" if you want! I need to stop applying too, so maybe we can help each other.

hehe

7. author_22

I'm serious :) If you want to work together, i'll turn on my email link.

Steph

8. making

making Well-Known Member

my 2 cents...

It seems experian (and some say TU too) is deleting just about any inquiry you dispute. (At least for now...dunno if it will last forever) So if you are not morally opposed to it, just dispute all your inquiries on them, wait for the dispute to get done, and then go to millcbs.com and check for people in your area very likely to pull experian (or TU) (or reapply to ones that were on there)

Also from the sounds of it, I don't see much point in applying to MBNA or other prime lender. Or getting other store cards. Just the usual subprime-land CapOne(secured), FCNB(secured), orchard, providian...

If you can get the inquiries removed for free and you think you have a shot, why not?

9. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Experian has deleted some of my inquiries, but not all. I've re-disputed some, but now they won't let me re-dispute again.

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

me too. i suck at not applying. once you breach the 610~ score range you'll get a bunch of junk cards.

its important to apply for cards you stand a chance getting. I've applied for every card online possible, and i can tell you which will deny you. I have a list of about 50+ that have hehe.

on the other hand, citi has blessed me twice :)

11. kevinw01

kevinw01 Well-Known Member

Hello Sam,

looks like you know alot about the credit card industry which cards are easy to get with inquiries on the credit report... cause I just appy for the paypalvisa and got denied online... I have a good credit score 700+ on all 3 bureaus... I also apply for a pre-approve fleet platinum offer I receive in the mail it gave a message cannot give instant approval and will mail out letter of decision in two weeks sounds like a denied to me.... please advice..... I would like to get a second platium card I already have the juniper platium card... please let me know which ones would be easy to get with a 700+ score....

Thank You....

12. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Citibank AAdvantage.

Go apply for the:
    http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cardserv/worldcard/apchoose.htm

Apply for the silver, if you get instant approval, immediately go apply for the gold, you'll get both.

~~650 score will get instant approval.

Then wait a few days, call up citi, tell them you want to convert to platinum select, and merge both limits.

Wait 6 months, repeat the same procedure again. You'll get both cards again (i jest you not), and combine/merge.

My citibank platinum select was talked down after 4 months to prime+ 0.99%. My equifax score is 603 now and i have $9000 in credit from them. I don't know how, save god, but you gotta trust me on this one, it works. Citi is top notch. After a couple of months of owning/using the card, retention will drop your apr to similar or less levels.

13. making

making Well-Known Member

Bummer! I had all i disputed taken off and I thought everyone else did too. :( My mistake...

14. NewGuy

NewGuy Active Member

This is a great idea!! Are these issued by Citi itself, or one of the affiliate banks...I believe I am on the no-card list at citi (will redeem myself eventually...how long does their blacklist last? Forever?)

15. annie

annie Well-Known Member

Sam,

Since you have a vast knowledge of credit cards. Tell me which one will most likely give me a card. I have a 600 experian score, but loads of inquiries form trying to get another card. I have a retail card that will be 1 year old next month. I have a Fashionbug, Dillards and Kmart master card. I just want a VISA to add so I can work these tradelines the next year and get my score up. Thanks for any advice.

Annetta

16. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i can't advise you with a 600 score.

You need to know which bureaus, each card will pull. www.millcbs.com is a good place. A 600 score is pretty bad. not "prime" or "near prime" more like "Im just below near prime".

Cards that come to mind are:
    1. www.aria.com
    2. www.capitalone.com
    3. www.paypalcreditcard.com
    4. www.householdcard.com /www.orchardbank.com

All subprime, of course. But you'll stand a good chance getting them. Don't waste inquiries on cards that are totally out of reach. I can lecture you on that because i'm pretty bad at it myself, and have a list of denials a mile long.

With 600 score, i'd apply, get a couple of subprime cards, wait 1 year, and when your score is up in the 630-650 range, get something better.

Aria/paypalcreditcard.com are providian of course, they give regular increases. Capitalone, is slower on the increases, but better overall service. Orchard/household are on the bottom of the list, but still give credit to those that are willing..

17. annie

annie Well-Known Member

I screwed up a Providian card, about a two years ago, think they would give me a chance on the Aria or paypal? I recieved a letter from the preisdent saying my account would reflect paid in full and an apology. Should I risk it? I have on Cap one about 1 month old, how long should I wait before I apply for another?

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

sam

~~650 score will get instant approval.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOT 685-698 F.I.C.O. if your are GEORGE with NO NEGATIVES...
    NOT 725-741 F.I.C.O. if you are his wife...

19. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

George,
    Have you tried to challenge any of the denials that you or your wife have gotten?