Advice needed after reading Roni's

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Jul 13, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I just went back and read Roni's story and some of her posts because I had seen so many references to her good advice.

My husband and I were kind of thinking along the same lines. We figured it would be better to apply and get the inquiries all at once, then 6 months from now, hopefully we will have some 6 month old accounts to boost our scores.

He was approved for a K-Mart MC a couple days ago, other than that we have a Sears account (2/01) for our fridge, and auto loan from 11/00, both perfect payments. We have many unpaid items on our cr's, including one charge off.

I haven't yet figured out how you guys are set up to get your scores regularly (I guess I'm not too bright!). I know 7/11 our Beacon scores were 623 Hubby, ad 499 me. (the auto loan is not in my name)

As of 5/29, Exp was 640 H, 491 me
    Tu 608 h, 499 me

I am wondering if you guys think either of us could be approved for any unsecured cards? Even Fashion Bug, or any wimpy thing just to get the cards? The problem is we have 6 kids and no money to put down for a secured card!

I need to get my husband's middle score to at elast 640 to qualify for a no dp mortgage for our first home.

I am considering FCNB, Citi, Cap 1, and Providian from the things I have seen here. I read that Roni applied for many cards, and only got some of them.

I am going to get a mortgage (hopefully) with Wells Fargo, so I am thinking about asking them for a small loan.

I did an online inquiry with TU on 7/3, have not sent letters to the others. I keep putting it off because I am aftaid I will not do it correctly!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Terri

2. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Terri,

I don't know what type of "other things" on your credit report you have, but even with a 623 score and recent negs or really BAD negs, you will still be denied.

There are semi-secured cards. I'd forget Citi for now. FCNB could be good but to be honest, I don't know if you're going to get much headway WITHOUT going secured first. 499 is pretty low.

You husband might want to try Providian and CapOne alone and put you on as an authorized user.

How many years of "perfect payments" have you guys had? What type and how many "bad" things do you have and how old are they? This is the type of information we need here to help you.

3. OtherTerri

Shantel,

Thanks for answering me. I will list it all here for you.

I was only going to apply in my husband's name, and then he would add me later. That is what we did with the Sears Plus account. The finance company for the van will not add me.

This info is from a tri merge report 5-29-01

Negatives

00-1 medical
    99- 2 1 (PAID) phone bill, 1 builders supply store
    98 - 2 1 medical, 1 charge off ( not usre if I am choosing the correct date for this, might be 97)
    97 -2 1 medical, 1 cable
    94 - 2 1 medical, 1 long distance

Judgements
    99- 1
    95-1 satisfied
    94- 4, and 3 that should have dropped off in July

Positives
    Auto loan 11-00 all payments on time
    Sears 2-01 all payments on time
    Rich's 1983, used once for $18
    2 32 month perfect payment accounts have been reporting in my husband's name, even though they belong to former customers. (he was on their accounts at Color Tile and Lowe's to purchase materials) I don't know how long this will last.

What a mess! This is really embarassing!

Thanks for any advice
    Terri

4. OtherTerri

I forgot, there are also 4 state tax liens, all paid. I understand I need to file them in the court and pay a fee. I don't know how to do this, and I have no money to pay the fees.I am hoping to figure out a way to get them off anyway.
    Terri

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Do you get the Providian ad on TV? Answer that ad. They will give your hubby a card, you can register and pay it online but don't futz around with them. They're only good to you if you're good with them. Many people on this board have started with Providian.

Stay away from Citi for now. Cap One will want probably want theirs secured.

breeze

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

tax liens

Just make copies of the letters and send them to the clerk of court.

I've never heard of a fee for this. Where do you live?

breeze

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad

Terri

I could put an old report of mine up here that would make yours look good. ;)

breeze

8. OtherTerri

Re: Don't feel bad

Breeze,

I live in Ohio.

When applying to Providian, do we apply for a particular card, or will they tell us what we qualify for? Can I do it online, or only from an ad?
    Thanks for the encouragement on my "list" also. And thanks for helping me with what you have learned from experience!

Terri

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

re Providian - they'll give you what you qualify for (they all will). I would watch for the ad on TV because it says no matter what you credit is like, you can get a card. Then they give you an 800 munber to call. Somebody on here probably has the number.

I know it runs during the soaps here in VA.

Sorry I don't have it though. If I see it, I will post it.

breeze

10. OtherTerri

I'd like to apply online, are you saying not to?

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm not sure what they are offering online.

breeze