Advice on closing Capital One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by William, Jan 28, 2001.

1. William

William Guest

Can anyone give me advice on closing my Capital One credit card account? Besides sending a request in writing should I send the Credit Card back with the request?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Advice on closing Capital

to close an account you simply need to call the company. it will be closed immediately. Cut up the card. But you do not need to send it in. It will take 2 billing cycles to close an account with capital one.

roni

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I cut the card in half (top to bottom at an angle) tape it to the bottom of the letter.

I tell them the exact reason(s) the account is being closed:

1. INTEREST RATE TOO HIGH (YOURS IS THE HIGHEST...)
    2. CREDIT LINE TOO LOW (THIS ACCOUNT IS THE LOWEST I HAVE...)
    3. ANY OTHER REASONS...

Please have the courtesy to report to EQUIFAX, TRANSUNION, and EXPERIAN "ACCOUNT CLOSED AT CONSUMER'S REQUEST"
    NEVER LATE
    BALANCE $0

(Or some words to that effect)
    SEND CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED
    (make a copy of your letter)!!!

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Don't blow this out of proportion. A simple phone call did it for me. If you don't want to speak w/ a Retention agent, just say so, no big deal. They reported my account just the way I wanted with no problem at all, and returned my deposit w/ interest. Also, I needed them to re-insert the account (due to a Transunion screw up), and even though I was no longer a customer, I got the best customer service.

Saar

5. keltex

keltex Guest

I would agree with the advice to send a letter via certified mail. Obviously you want to ensure this is closed as soon as possible. I have tried the calling technique on three occasions recently (August). When I checked my reports in December, NONE of them were closed. When I did the certified mail/letter option after seeing this on my reports, all 3 reponded in writing to my request. Further, they noted in their letter that I had closed it and it would be immediately reported as such to the bureaus.

I wish that I could count on the creditors and the bureaus to keep accurate records, and reflect my account closed BY CONSUMER at the time that I initially requested it, but as many of you already know, you cannot.

6. Saar

Saar Banned

It probably had nothing to do w/ the letter. They normally take 90 days to report an account closed, which is on purpose, in case charges keep appearing on the account.

ketlex wrote:
    "I wish that I could count on the creditors"

Saying no creditor can be trusted, is an over generalization, as it classifies Citibank and CCB in the same category. They clearly don't belong together.

Saar

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

funny. i had no problem closing my account in October. They were closed on my credit reports in december.

roni

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

i agree. the rep told me it would take 2 billing cycles to close the account for the reasons you stated Saar. Oh well.

roni

9. William

William Guest

Thanks everyone for your advic

I appreciate the advice! Tomorrow I will call and close the account and send a certified letter just to be sure.