Advice on Dispute

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by texcap, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. texcap

    texcap New Member

    Hi! I'm a newbie on this list and have been lurking and reading for a few weeks.

    I have a question regarding a specific item on one of my credit reports.

    We had a ch 7 bk discharged in 11/97. At the time one of the items included in the discharge was a signature line of credit with First United Bank. Since our discharge First United was purchased by Washington Mutual. This item is now showing up on my Equifax report as a foreclosure on a real estate loan. The account numbers, high balance and opening date are the same as the First United line of credit. This item showed up on my TU and Exp but I was able to get those removed by disputing them.

    Should I contact Equifax or Washington Mutual? and what should I say?

    Thanks for the help.
  2. Phreedom

    Phreedom Well-Known Member

    Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but IMHO, you should send a validation letter to Washington Mutual first. Chances are the original paperwork is lost in some offsite storage. Then when they can't validate, demand removal.
  3. texcap

    texcap New Member

    After looking at my credit report I realized that what I said in my previous report was in error. While it is true that the balance and the date opened are the same, the account number that Washington Mutual has is a different account number. I also misidentified the original creditor as First United; it should have been Bank United.

    That being said, how can I contact Washington Mutual without a full account number? The only account number that I have is truncated by **** in my credit report. Any ideas?


    GEORGE Well-Known Member

    You can state "EXACTLY" what is on the credit report...

    "IF" it says 4425-7788-7788-XXXX
    or 4425-7788-7788....


    "THEY" can figure it out!!!

Share This Page