Advice--preapproved offers by phone

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by texastrini, Jul 14, 2001.

1. texastrini

texastrini Well-Known Member

Capone gave me a call this morning offering pre-approved credit card w/monthly fee and 3K limit.

I was sleeping so I hung up.

I got to thinking, if I was preapproved why not just send me a card and let me know my limit?

How sincere are they types of offers by phone?

2. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Why Don't you call them? Tell them they called and you where disconnected this morning. Just to make sure you where not dreaming.. ;-) To be honest...I have never heard of Cap One calling so.... I can't say how promising the offer may be.

Good Luck

MartysGirl

3. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

They do call you on the phone ... only after you have ignored about 50 of their mail offers.

4. texastrini

Is it truly pre-approved?

5. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I applied a few years ago to a pre-approved offer and was turned down. They do pull credit report. I've since got 2 Providian cards, one Household card, and a Sears card. Capone continues to send me mail offers but I ignore them. Finally they called me on the phone with same offer. I turned them down! Felt good.

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I get those all the time.

All I gotta do to get me another new credit card is give them my banking ifromation so they can jerk a couple hundred out of my bank account for "processing fees"

And Lord only knows how much more.

Tell them to put it where the sun don't shine.

7. texastrini

Bill, Misty, JD

Thanks all for responding.

Based on the horror stories that I here the board talks abour CapOne.

I am glad I hung up on them

Catch on the next post.

8. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

CALL if you want to...tell them you thought it might be a scam to get your ss# and other personal information.

They might be able to imput your ss# to see the offer...
    ON TV THEY OFFER $0/0% INTEREST/THEN ~9.9%

10. texastrini

Misty thanks for going the extra mile.

After reading the article I saw off to the side Providian as a good card for people in my predicament?

I rememeber reading some really scary things abour Providian on this board.

11. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd have no problems about accepting a card from either Capital One or Providian. I'd be afraid of a telephone solicitation but as long as I didn't have to give out any credit card or checking account information to accept their offer, I think it would be ok.

Even better would be to tell them you are careful about telephone solicitations and ask them if there is a telephone number you could call THEM back at to accept their offer. And then make sure the number they give you is really Capital One.