Affect of disputes on scores?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by newhouse, Apr 11, 2001.

1. newhouse

newhouse Guest

Hi all....

2 years ago I got serious about my credit, in anticipation of buying my first house. In the last 2 years I have had no late payments and no hard inquiries (this almost killed me!) I had about $5000 in credit limits on longstanding cards, but my they were pretty much always very close to their limits. I have a total of 5 late payments showing on my report, including 1 60-day - but they are all about 5 years old. Also, 1 paid collection and 1 satisfied judgement from 1999.

After closing on my house in mid-March, I applied for the Citibank Aadvantage Card. I was denied based on the number of late payments. I pulled my Beacon score and disputed the late payments.

2 weeks later I pulled my score again and it had jumped 50 points. Those accounts with late payments were showing as disputed - and nothing else had changed.

I applied for Citibank Platinum and was approved for an $8k limit.

This makes me think that disputed accounts aren't calculated in the scores....anyone else have this experience?

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Affect of disputes on scor

Yes a few posters have received their scores while items were disputed and their scores did rise. Since we as consumers have the right to dispute, I would say that if items are being disputed they are not factored into the scores. So you could apply for credit while is dispute and possibly get them as you did, this only would go for credit cards, mortgages are a whole different ball game.

Just remember though, if by some unfortunate chance your disputes don't get deleted/changed, your creditor will up your rates according to your current report. Citibank is notorious for this, they peek quite often at reports for reviews, and with me I noticed they check different ones, usually either Eq or Ex.

3. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Regardless of rate increases, if it is the difference between getting a prime card and not, I would say it is worth a shot.

Good Luck

MikeB

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I agree Mike, I wasn't trying to suggest not doing it, I was just trying to point out that your rates may increase that's all.