AIR LINE ISSUED VISA AND MC

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CLAUDE, Mar 27, 2000.

1. CLAUDE

CLAUDE Guest

I HAVE GOOD CREDIT AND SEVERAL PLATINUM CREDIT CARDS WITH VERY LITTLE OUTSTANDING BALANCES AND NO ANNUAL FEES WITH LOW INTEREST. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE AN AIRLINE ISSUED VISA OR MC THAT OFFERS FREQUENT FLIER MILES WITH PURCHASES. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY AN ANNUAL FEE OR HIGH INTEREST RATES.

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

RE: AIR LINE ISSUED VISA AND M

There isn't anything available that meets your requirements. First of all, airlines do not issue Visa and MasterCard accounts that earn frequent flyer miles. They partner with a bank who handles the credit card. Most airlines still have their own charge cards, but these are only valid for airline ticket and airline sponsored vacation package purchases. It's essentially like a department store card. It's only good for buying things from that store. Purchases on these cards do not generally earn dollar for dollar frequent flyer miles. You might get bonus miles for buying a packaged vacation or something else from them though.

All of the airline affinity cards have an annual fee and have a relatively high interest rate (17.65%-19.8%). The reason is that this is the class of Visa/MC that has the highest percentage of people who pay off their balances in full each month. This means less revenue for the banks from finance charges, so you get to make up for that with an annual fee and high interest should you carry a balance.

Most of the people who have such card are usually frequent business travellers who are looking to add to their miles or the affluent who do a large amount of leisure travel. These cards are generally targeted to upscale consumers who are more concerned about how many miles they are getting than the interest rate, pay their bill in full each month, and consider the $50 (or higher) annual fee the price of admission for being able to collect more frequent flyer miles.

3. Laura

Laura Guest

A friend of mine had a card that offered 6 miles for every dollar spent.I am trying to find the best card...What do you recommend?

4. Laura

Laura Guest

A friend of mine had a card that offered 6 miles for every dollar spent.I am trying to find the best card...What do you recommend?

5. Victoria

Victoria Guest

Do you know which credit card your friend carry and how to apply it? 6 miles for 1 dollar. That sound great!