ALERT: Citi checking email scam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kit, Aug 16, 2003.

1. kit

kit Well-Known Member

I got an email this morning supposedly from "Citibank"... however, when I click on the properties tab for the email, I see it is from "Marella_Leslie@mail.com" In the email, it states that I need to click this link in the email in order to see new terms and conditions for my Citi checking acct and I need to consent to changes in terms and conditions in order to avoid suspension of my acct. Well, I don't have a Citi checking acct, plus I sincerely doubt that Citi would send an email to me via mail.com. I think this is an attempt to get Citi checking acct info. I am reporting this to Citi, but I just wanted to let everyone to know that this email is out there.

2. rocket1977

rocket1977 Well-Known Member

I got a rather amusing email yesterday from some company stating my card had been charged $28.79 and if the charge was in error I needed to fill out a form with my credit card number and mailing address. Yea, I am a moron.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Forward it to your SECURITY DEPARTMENT at your ISP

4. catleg

catleg Well-Known Member

For what it's worth this Leslie Marella probably has nothing to do with it. Spammers like to confuse things with phony From: and To: addresses and largely use the Bcc: field for targeting their victims.
    The link contained in the message is the only real clue.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: ALERT: Citi checking email scam

I WOULD STILL FORWARD IT TO YOUR ISP (SECURITY DEPARTMENT)