Am I ready for prime credit?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by aross79, Jun 21, 2001.

1. aross79

aross79 Member

Hi, everyone! I've been following this board for about two years now and I've learned everything I know about credit from it! Thanks!
    It's almost two years since I opened a secured visa account with Sterling. Then last August I got a Providian gold visa (started off with $500 limit, am now up to $2000 and I just got an offer for another $1000!). I also opened a Macys charge. In March 2001 I got a Amex green (my first prime card:)!
    My question is...
    I'm sick of Sterling because in almost two years of maintaining a perfect record with them they have granted me a total of $100 in credit increases.
    Providian charges me 25% with no grace period...
    I have never been late or over limit with any of my cards. Am I ready to apply for a "regular" visa card- with a decent APR and maybe even rewards? I don't want to apply if I don't have a chance...who needs all the inquiries...
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Keep up the good work!

2. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

The good thing these days is that you can check your credit score online and have a pretty good idea of what credit products you may qualify for. Why not just check your score?

3. aross79

aross79 Member

Whoops! forgot to mention that part...
    I checked my score a couple months back and came up with 642. But how do I know what that means??

4. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

I believe most decent cards require 660+. I would suggest that you work on getting your score to that level before applying. Work with the reason codes that came with your score.

5. john

john Well-Known Member

Go get a Citibank card(AA or Platinum Select). A 642 should be no problem. Your credit limit if approved is also dependent on how much you earn. I have a 620 and was approved over the past few months for two cards with pretty decent(5-6k) limits each.

Good luck!!!