American Agencies A Collection Co.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mkmaximus, Sep 8, 2001.

1. mkmaximus

mkmaximus Well-Known Member

Anybody familiar with this collection agency??
    What is Civil Code Article 3 and STATS, 1997, C. 907,P.2771. 1

It says on thier Bill We have been informed you are applying for credit. The above balance is on your credit file as an unpaid account.

Remit in full to clear your credit record.

This is not my account, I have demanded proof.
    They say they don't have to they are a utility company and we don't negotiate or settle. They sare a collection agency the account does not belong to Pacif Bell any more they sold it, so they are not a utility company but a collection Agency. So their statement Utilitie Company's do not settle and using that as a crutch is not legal is it. Also I have disputed and asked for Proof that I owe the debt.
    It's from way back, an old roomate used my info to get a phone line. I want to file a fraud case should I and if so how do I go about it, any ideas??

Thanks
    B.C.

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

From BBB.ORG

American Agencies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Report was developed from various sources, including the business, governmental agencies, and the experience of the company's customers.

For further information contact the Better Business Bureau of the Southland
    315 N. La Cadena, Colton, CA, 92324
    (909) 825-7280

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Agencies
    730 North Euclid Street Suite 302
    Anaheim CA 92803

Business Started: 01/01/70
    File Open Date: 03/04/92
    Last Report Date: 05/10/01
    Principal Contact: John Lee

Phone: (714) 491-3400
    Fax: (714) 774-1971
    EMail: Not Available
    Web Address: Not Available

Bureau ID: 92000346
    Member Status:

Nature of Business
    This company's business is debt collection services.

Bureau File Experience

We rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record. A pattern of complaints alleges the debtors have no knowledge of the debts they are billed for. Many complainants contend they repeatedly attempted to resolve the problem with company representatives, but company personnel was rude and unhelpful. The company responded to earlier complaints by making adjustments and resolving the disputes. Most complaints remain unanswered. If you have been contacted by a collection agency for a debt which seems unfamiliar to you, carefully check your records to verify the the origin and amount before paying. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act protects consumers from unfair collection tactics including, threats, harassment, and collection of fictitious debts. This law also requires debt collectors to supply documentation to substantiate the debt upon request of the debtor. If they are unable to present the requested documentation, you are not required to pay the debt. Phone calls allegedly tracked with ANI's may still not validify the debt as the ANI will identify the receiving phone line, but not the actual caller. The Better Business Bureau does not endorse, recommend or disapprove of any product, service or company.

3. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

BTW - They can SAY they don't have to validate all day long....t'aint true. They are a 3rd party Debt Collector and must comply with the FDCPA.

I had a similar problem with them - I sent LK's validation letter and they never responded but did delete the reporting.

4. mkmaximus

Thanks !! I am going to take them to court if they do not delete, I am ready !!!

B.C.

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

One trick you could pull on them is to send a copy of their letter claiming to be a public utility to the PUC in your state, whatever they call themselves. Ask for a ruling from the PUC as to their status as a public utility as stated by them.

Your PUC should easily come back stating that they are not a public utility as claimed in their letter and are not regulated by the PUC.

Send copies of the two of them to your State Attorney General's office and the Attorney General's office in the state in which they do business if different and ask for a complaint form. File a complaint on them with the consumer protection division of the AG's office.

The AG will not be pleased with them.

If they ever do go to court, a Judge and jury isn't going to be too happy with them either.

6. mkmaximus

Hal, what is sent LK's validation letter, can you send me a copy.

B.C.

7. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Do a search here for validation letters. You will find several postings from Lizard king. Those are the letters.

8. mkmaximus

Thank You

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

10. mkmaximus

Thanks Bill !!

11. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Always glad to help when I can.

12. mkmaximus

I need to get Sears of my Experian, they wont budge very old account, I asked for validation, no response yet, do you send the valadation letters to CRA's or the creditors or both what are the steps.

Gladiator

13. monij2000

monij2000 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post, but did you get anywhere w/ american agencies? I got the same B.S about "we have been informed you are applying for credit.....yadayada...." I am about to send the validation letter. Pacific Bell says once it's gone to the CA, the are unable to verify anything!

14. folide

folide Member

I have the same exact problem with them and Pacific Bell. I told them it wasn't mine and they offered to send me a fraud dispute form. I received the form yesterday and it is ridiculous. They require about 6 documents proving that I was living elsewhere. This account is about 6 1/2 years old and I have no proof.

15. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

They have to send validation not a fraud form!
    You require validation ; they require nothing!

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

The FDCPA says they have to prove the debt is yours, not that you have to prove the debt isn't yours.
    Stand your ground!

17. monij2000

monij2000 Well-Known Member

I just shot off my first validation letter to them....so 30 days and counting I will be awaiting their reply! 6 1/2 years??? Just let that baby ride for 6 months! Then slam them to delete!