american express after bk

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by direct, Jun 28, 2001.

1. direct

direct Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if American Express will issue a card to someone that has previously gone bankrupt (with an amex card included in the bk)?

The bankruptcy has been cleared off the credit report including all derogatory credit.

2. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

From what I've read on this forum, "AMEX never forgets", nor issues credit if you owe them money.

They keep internal records, so they know even if it's no longer on your CR.

Do a search on AMEX here. There's plenty of info on this from those who have experience with AMEX.

Good luck.

3. sph88

sph88 Well-Known Member

If you pay off the debt with Amex they will issue a new card.You must pay it off and then apply!
    If you get declined call the new accounts department and explain your situation.You may have to speak to a supervisor.......

4. aigle

aigle Well-Known Member

You don't necessarily have to pay the old balance. Apply and see what happens. I'll say this, if you are thinking of paying such a 'debt' to American Express...if you took the money and flushed it down the toilet and applied for a Visa Plantinum instead, you have about the same thing in end.

I wouldn't bother with Amex if I were you.

5. sph88

sph88 Well-Known Member

unless your not concerned about customer service!

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi Direct - I have had a Green Card for a yr now -
    I had a chap 13 in 1996 - due to health stuff - and they issued me a Card.

I had a prior balance with them from 20 yrs ago for $1100. I paid them the $1100, and worked with an Acct Mgr at Centurion Bank. They understood my health isses and issued me the Green Card - and instantly jumpstarted a premium credit rating addition.

Hope this helps - dogman

I do love AMEX! It was the best business/personal decision I made last year - to get a relationship started with them. I now have funds in Membership Banking, been with the financial advisor - etc.
    If you can afford it, and you think its worth it, call and see what they say.

7. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Dogman,

Did you pay AMEX in one lump sum or over several payments? Also, did they reactivate your old account, if not did they delete or change the reporting status on your credit report after you paid them? Did you get this in writing before you paid?

I too, filed them in my BK (also due to a medical condition) and am really thinking about getting AMEX back. I didn't want to file them, but I could not pay them at the time I filed.

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I just did....

one payment. I asked them if I needed to pay interest - nope.

The acct mgr watched my check clear - then told me to apply for Green or a revolving card - I needed a Card with no pre set limits. The computer bounced me, then the acct mgr overrode it the next morning. I had the Card in about 7 days after the check cleared AMEX.

They keep resolved , now paid, bad stuff for a year on computer - but after 12 months it is deleted.

They issue an entirely new number and new "MEMBER SINCE" year.

If you are considering doing this - it probably would
    be best to try to make one payment - if you want the chance for a new Card without waiting months to pay off the old balance.

They even helped me word my credit that my Chap 13 was due to illness. AMEX helped my credit rating
    very dramatically.

c ya dogman

9. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Re: I just did....

Thanks Dogman.

I was kinda suprised they didn't come after me during the BK as I have heard in the past that if you file against them, they will try to get you to reaffirm and pay. I think that maybe I will try contacting CS find out about this. They got deleted off my TU during a dispute with TU. I just think that maybe the benefits of raising the score would be worth it, not to mention being able to use it in a pinch and pay it off the next statement.

One last question, I assume you went over a CS Rep. directly to a supervisor. You were able to work with the same supervisor all the through the process?

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Re: I just did....

Yes - call 1800THECARD, tell them to tranfer you to a Centurion Bank Acct Mgr. The same person did the whole thing for me.

c ya - dogman

11. weber

weber New Member

I am about to file bankruptcy and have the blue card with amex balance of 3,400, the simply cash one for 5,125, and the platinum and gold with 430 balances on each, always paid on time and as agreed, but my financial situation is hard on my other cards, i am willing to loose all of the other ones and my house because of the 2008 housing meltdown, but i will like to keep all the amex in good standing and not loose them, i already called them and they said even if accounts are in good standing once i file accounts will be closed, i dont know what to do these cards always helped me and i know after bk i will be able to pay them all, but if i have a choice i would really love to know a way of keeping them, i also made a letter to them that i have not sent explaining that even i declare bk7 i will be paying them as agreed, but do not know where to mail this letters, maybe the centurion rep that helped can help me , i do not know, my lawyer tells me i should file them anyways and see what happens, also i have heard that the do not do reaffirms, they just simply close the accounts. can you give me some advise?
    best regards,
    ew