American Express Cobalt Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by niecy25, Nov 8, 2000.

1. niecy25

niecy25 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what is up with this card. I applied over a month ago. Is American Express about to come up with some more heartaches over this card too.

2. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

RE: American Express Cobalt Ca

Have called the application # to follow up?

3. niecy25

niecy25 Well-Known Member

I have called many times. Every time I call I get told something else. They given me times frames from 24 hour to weeks. I just don't want to get my hopes up again for them to be crushed once again by American Express

4. rick

rick Well-Known Member

The Cobalt Card is a pre-paid AMEX card, similar to a Visa check card attached to your checking account. I applied for the Cobalt card several weeks ago, and they emailed me back yesterday saying, we haven't responded due to the volume of response to this new product, but you should hear something within 10 days.

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Radioactive Cobalt

At the height of the Cold War, about the early 1960's, there was some speculation about what was called the "cobalt bomb." Radioactive cobalt lasts longer than most other fallout, so one of the superpowers could put cobalt around a hydrogen bomb, have it turn radioactive in the explosion, and then make another country uninhabitable with radioactivity for thousands of years.

Possession of a cobalt bomb was seen as the ultimate threat. I don't know if anyone ever made one, but the term was synonymous with nuclear terror among the political elite. Therefore, I find it surprising that American Express would use "cobalt" as the name for a credit card. Not everyone takes the interest in political history that I do. But I'm surprised that some outside director, or some senior attorney lodged within the AmEx heirarchy, didn't remember the connotations of the word.

6. lostinplac

lostinplac Guest

RE: Radioactive Cobalt

Hi RichGuy,
    Perhaps it is a marketing slur to imply the seriousness of AmEX intent on standing behind the Cobalt Card. AmEX starts out by offering the Cobalt Card, to nearly all that apply as long as they meet the threshold requirements (I applied over three weeks ago and haven't heard anything). Secondly, once the Cobalt Card has reached sufficient market saturation (a cost-effective number of Cobalt Card holders to justify adding rewards (airline miles, travel insurance coverage, rental collision waiver, etc) to the card, I think that we will see the Cobalt Card evolve into what was (since it is no longer offered, although a fortunate number of people were able to get one, before they stopped taking applications) the Secured Optima Card, without diluting AmEX image of exclusitivity. Just like your analogy RichGuy, it starts with pervasive impact within the market, and it disperses (overwhelming consumer response to the Cobalt Card introduction) fully in the "mind's" of consumers, that this Cobalt Card, is the one to have, for those of us, who are not able to qualify for a regular AmEX card. I think we have only seen the beginning of AmEX, second foray into the subprime world, although, don't think for one minute, that anyone you hand the Cobalt Card too, is going to behave any different towards you, because the card has the backing of AmEX. Just make sure you have sufficient funds for all of your purchases beforehand though....it would be too embarassing to get a denial with an AmEX product. I know, I was held up in the cashier's line twice, when the person before me had an AmEX Gold card and she was told to speak to the AmEx rep. on the phone, while waiting in line to pay for her purchases. Talk about losing face....Still thinking out loud, lostinplace

7. lostinplac

lostinplac Guest

RE: Radioactive Cobalt

Hi RichGuy,
    Perhaps it is a marketing slur to imply the seriousness of AmEX intent on standing behind the Cobalt Card. AmEX starts out by offering the Cobalt Card, to nearly all that apply as long as they meet the threshold requirements (I applied over three weeks ago and haven't heard anything). Secondly, once the Cobalt Card has reached sufficient market saturation (a cost-effective number of Cobalt Card holders to justify adding rewards (airline miles, travel insurance coverage, rental collision waiver, etc) to the card, I think that we will see the Cobalt Card evolve into what was (since it is no longer offered, although a fortunate number of people were able to get one, before they stopped taking applications) the Secured Optima Card, without diluting AmEX image of exclusitivity. Just like your analogy RichGuy, it starts with pervasive impact within the market, and it disperses (overwhelming consumer response to the Cobalt Card introduction) fully in the "mind's" of consumers, that this Cobalt Card, is the one to have, for those of us, who are not able to qualify for a regular AmEX card. I think we have only seen the beginning of AmEX, second foray into the subprime world, although, don't think for one minute, that anyone you hand the Cobalt Card too, is going to behave any different towards you, because the card has the backing of AmEX. Just make sure you have sufficient funds for all of your purchases beforehand though....it would be too embarassing to get a denial with an AmEX product. I know, I was held up in the cashier's line twice, when the person before me had an AmEX Gold card and she was told to speak to the AmEx rep. on the phone, while waiting in line to pay for her purchases. Talk about losing face....Still thinking out loud, lostinplace