American Express- Dogman

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mark, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Mark

Mark Guest

I have followed your saga with American Express; congratulations! I understand you now carry the gold rewards plus card.

For someone with a clean credit history, no lates, derog, bk, etc, and a history from 6/99, would I qualify? I have 4-5 positive tradelines, and meet the minimum income qualifications, no inquiries in the past 6 months, and owe nothing on my credit/retail cards, but $4500/$15000 on my car loan.

2. Jo

Jo Guest

While I'm no Dog...(jk)...I think I can answer your question. Yes, you should be able to get the Green card with no problem. If there is, the only forseeable (spelling?) one is that AmEx has said they like to see 2 years of credit history. If that's the reason you get for denial, I'm sure you could call the Centurion Bank, speak to a manager, and have the decision over-ridden. Good luck!
    -Jo

3. Mark

Mark Guest

Well, I applied in Aug/99 and was obviously denied for insufficient established credit; I only had 2 months history! Now the second time I applied, I had 7-8 months history, and wasn't denied for insufficient established credit, but other reasons, like recent credit checks.

4. Michael

Michael Guest

I think you should get it, I've gotten it for clients with about 1 yr history.

5. akya

akya Guest

What is the minumum income for the american express green card?

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Still Green Card Jo!

Hi Jo- you know that AMEX made me apply
    for the GOLD Membership Rewards; they tried but would not product transfer me.

They sent me the Gold (not Membership Rewards Gold)app, but I pitched it.
    I figure they will send it automatically within a few months by invitation.

But, hey, I am thrilled with the Green w/Membership Rewards. Remember, I am coming out of Chap 13 3 1/2 yrs ago!
    AND, you know as well as I do that carrying that AMEX (yes, in the Coach wallet) is power and respect.

Hope you'll still speak to me because you are at a higher level :)

Jo, after our collective conversations, I believe that if I had asked for the Gold in the first place, they would have done it. Let's face it, they overlooked everything anyway to get me Green Card.

Also, how kewl they already report to the bureaus as R1. What dollar amount could you put on that alone, coming from a Chap 13?

I visit with my new AMEX Financial Advisor
    this Thursday. I'll lay out everything, then see what they can do!

The Green Card analysis: I love it and have signed up for all the benefits possible! :)

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey- thx for the message - but AMEX wanted me to reapply for a whole new Gold Card - they wouldn't "structure change" me.
    They sent me an application but I didn't feel like going through the process again now.
    AND - I am so pleased with the Green Card, I am waiting for them to send me an upgrade invitation for Gold, whenever.
    There is no limit on the Green Card - and that's the key to flexibility!

BUT, and Jo will verify - instantly, you will be put on the prime credit lists.
    Jo got her Gold Card, I got my Green Card the same month. We both got a CHASE offer 31 days later for 2.99% PLAT VISA.

I bought the optional Membership Rewards -
    so my Personal Card is a total of $95 yr.
    High fee? Not even a concern.
    This is the most polite, respectful, and customer focused company I have EVER dealt with.

Apply for the Green Card now.
    You should get it. They gave it to me,
    after I explained the Chap 13 on record was due to illness.

Jo had great credit B4 also. I know she has a BankAmerica Visa for something like $20K.
    I think your credit would get you a Green.
    I agree with Jo - probably 2 strong yrs to get Gold.

Let us know. The more we find out about AMEX, the more people we see on the board here getting cards.

Dogman

8. Jo

Jo Guest

LOL Dog...

Of course I'll still talk to you...pending proof that you have credit lines totalling at least $100,000. Just Kidding....I think you're right about the Gold card thing...it may have been more glamorous, but hell, you've got a cheaper annual fee. So far my card has been great *AND* it helped me kick my Citibank line up to $16,000. Whoo Hoo!

Membership Rewards is great, but is it taking a while for your points to be credited??? I paid my July statement ($3,500) and I have yet to receive points for it...oh well, it's ok...small price to pay for AmEx prestige, right? ;-D

9. David

David Well-Known Member

How does the "no credit&q

Can you really spend whatever you can feasibly pay back by the due date? Do they give you a limit whereupon if you need to exceed that limit, you must call for authorization?

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: LOL JO...

same thing here on Membership Rewards.
    Had some points pending (294), then they just moved to the "Dogman Database".

I have another 1394 again in pending status.

Looks like you're spending more than me on your GOLD :)
    I'm getting these interest cards to zero ASAP.

Now that I have the AMEX, it seems so stupid to pay interest at all. But, I sure never thought I'd be carrying this Card!

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I believe it is $15000 - not too bad.
    I think the Gold is $25K

MY BELIEF:

If you don't make much, but have assets, they'll give a Card. If you don't make much, but have superb credit, you'll get a Card.

If you make a very significant income, they will overlook most past credit questions.

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: How does the "no cred

This is a great feature for AMEX.

If you want to make a large purchase, you can call an 800#, dial in the amount you want to make sure is verified, then the timeframe (i.e., I will spend $4500 in the next two weeks).

The computer AMEX voice thanks you for your call and says no problem.
    I think if you bought a car, the computer would transfer you to an AMEX REP.

I also think that the AMEX REP would approve a car purchase if they knew and were able to certify funds were available in 30 days.

I am certain it is done regularly.
    Dogman

13. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Actually it is done regularly. I have a family member who used to work as an AMEX rep. He once told me that a customer wanted to purchase a $90,000 custom made Mercedes to his card. My cousin was called to verify whether the purchase would be approved. Low & behold, after processing the request, the computer approved this guy! Must be nice. :)

14. David

David Well-Known Member

Sounds good. But how do you know when you have to call. For example, if I planned to by a new entertainment center from Best Buy, and spend $5000, should I call? Or should I wait to call before booking my 3-week excursion in Australia for $10K? (All theoretical situations!!!)

15. Jo

Jo Guest

RE: LOL JO...

I know whatcha mean. I'm kinda dependent on credit cards. I put everything on em and somethimes I feel bad when I have to put a bag of chips or something that costs next to nothing on a card, but I only carry a $20 and that's been in my wallet for about 7 months...LOL...
    I pay cell phone bills (THOSE certainly rack up Membership Rewards points), groceries, and everything else that is payable with AmEx with the card. But, you know, living in the Bay Area (with Silicon Valley right there) $3,000 sure doesn't buy what some people'd think....just spent $85 @ Texaco...gas prices may have dropped, but man, do they fuckin' SUCK!!! ...vulgar??? yup...true?? HELL YUP!!!

16. Jo

Jo Guest

That's the sucky thing...you don't really know...personally, I call them for anything over $500 and have never run into a problem (in my entire 2 months of experience...;-O). I think that it depends on you personally, though...

17. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I just tapped it for $1000 the one time I tried it.
    I know others have tried it also with different amts.

If I wanted Best Buy for a new kitchen for $4000, I'd punch in $5k, get approved, and then transfer to a REP to make sure.

OF COURSE _ this would aplly only to newer accts.

18. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Gee....

Was that on the *Green* card? Humm...

:)

19. miles

miles Well-Known Member

RE: Gee....

I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him when I talk to him again.

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: Gee....

yes it is on all their charge cards