American Express Gold - Should

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ALAN, Jan 5, 2001.

1. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

Hi Folks:

Thanks to the advice I've gotten from this board in the past year I've been trying to fix my credit, and what do you know, yesterday I received my first offer for a prime card, It's an American Express GOLD, with no credit limit although it has a $75 yearly membership fee, anyways, I still have the following in my reports...

2 30 day lates from Discover.
    1 30 day late from First USA

These are all negatives from 1998.

My question is... Do you think I have a chance of qualifying for this card? Or should I not take a chance and risk an inquiry?

Thanks for your input!

Alan.

2. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

RE: American Express Gold - Sh

I'd go for it . :) specially since they negative stuff is 2 years old, that means that when the offer was drafted they new about it .
    good luck

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Hard to say. Your delinquencies don't influence your score that much, being minor and more than 2 years old. But since you say you've never got any prime card offers before, I suspect there are OTHER factors lowering your credit score.

Had these blemishes been the only problem, by now you'd have gotten prime offers for sure.

Personally, I'd still give it a shot, but to increase your chances, go for the Amex Green.

Saar

4. Michael

Michael Guest

Why not try for the Gold through Fidelity Ultra Service Acct.

It takes $5,000.00 to open but you get cheques and an Amex Gold Card. Fidelity charges $15.00 a quarter if the account is under some figure but pays for your Gold Card and one for an additional user!
    Still a better offer than $75.00

Also I've spoken to Fidelity twice, and they seem to feel credit is not an issue for this card.

I've applied for one of my clients last week, and we will find out soon!

5. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Glad to see that more people are applying for the brokerage accounts. These accounts are far better than most secured accounts and instead of paying these loan sharks (Capital One, Providian, Cross country, First Premier, Aria, etc..)you will be building assets, and if you do borrow against your assets via margin your net cost will probably be only a few points at most. This sure beats the 20-30% plus all the high fees that the above mentioned loan sharks will take from you!

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Michael....

Hey,

I'm curious about the Fidelity brokerage account also. I've been reading their web site for the last few days. I'm curious as to if credit problems are going to be too much of an issue when trying to obtain Am/Ex through Fidelity. I got mixed feelings when I was going over the information. Also, It states that current Fidelity w/ the Gold card can upgrade to Platinum by just calling an 800 number. Gee, I wonder if it's that simple? Humm...

7. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: Michael....

There's really only one way to find out!

According to Fidelity Credit shouldn't be a factor in this card.

8. Michael

Michael Guest

The only thing though is that the brokerage accounts offer Debit and not credit cards which don't report and build credit.

I hope that the Fidelity Amex which is a charge card will report to the bureaus!

9. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

RE: Michael....

So, what you're saying is that I can open up an account, get the card (which by the way...you can either have the Visa or Am/Ex card...not both), and then like in 3 months call and upgrade to Platinum w/ no problems? Or will there be requirements for this card? I'm curious...guess I'll just have to find out. I'm going to call them and get more info.

I currently am an authorized user on my boyfriends Gold Am/Ex (it reports and everything)but would like to have my own card I guess.

Oh, and by the way......I just thought that I would mention that American Express is tha bomb! I love everything about them. When my wallet got stolen, they took care of everything! Reported all my cards stolen for me and everything! Their customer service is definately 5 star! O.k. I'm done plugging Am/Ex.