American Express

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Terry, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the minimum score you have to have to obtain a Amex? They pull Equifax in my area. I know my score is 680.....any suggestions? I don't want to burn an inquiry.

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Terry, Amex looks at a little more than scores. You have to have a pretty clean record and a tradeline that is at least two years old. If you meet all the requirements I would say go for it. Which card were you considering? Best of luck.

Dani

3. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I wanted to apply for the Blue card? I am not sure all the different cards and which card is at the bottom? I don't want the green card...I would like to apply for the blue card.

4. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I have Blue and it's a super card. No annual fee, decent interest rate, and Amex is great with credit line increases. Plus, their customer service is the best.

Dani

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Whats the interest now on blue? Is it competitive to other cards? like 7 or 8%???

amex wont talk to me :(

6. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Blue's interest rates are 10.99, 12.99, and 14.99. The only thing I don't like about the card is they refuse to lower the interest rates. As long as they don't increase them I'll learn to live with it.

Dani

7. Rob

Rob Active Member

Terry,
    I got a pre approved offer for a green card, seems like the day after I hit 680 on my experion. It was my first prime card. (and only)

The funny thing is, I thought I would try for the amex Blue card thinking 3 months usage on my new Green card, along with my 680 credit score on experion was good enough to get it, well what do ya know, they pull my worst CR, Trans union! DENIED!!!

* Rob *

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

TU must have a special going on.

Check to see if you have preapprovals at their site. Click on "apply for a card" then log in. If you are preapproved, it will be on the next screen.

Just try it evry couple of months, eventually you will see one there.

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

TU must have a special going on.

Check to see if you have preapprovals at their site. Click on "apply for a card" then log in. If you are preapproved, it will be on the next screen.

Just try it evry couple of months, eventually you will see one there.

10. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Breeze - I don't quite understand your last post. Can you explain a little further for me? I am a little slow today. Is what you are saying that if one were to apply for an AMEX card from the Trans Union site that AMEX would use the applicant's TU report to qualify them for the Card? I ask because my TU is spotless, and from what I know AMEX typically uses Experian to qualify California residents for the Card. If they used my TU, I might have a chance at getting one. So, can you expand on that comment? Thanks much!

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Don't ASSUME pre-approved is going to happen even with AMEX...

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I can explain. Sorry about the double post, hehe, creditnet's server didn't appear to be answering, so I click "post" again. doh.

The comment about TU was because CCC's and banks that normally use Equifax and Experian almost exclusively appear to be using Trans Union right now. Believe it or not, the CRA's have promotional offers just like other businesses.

But no, I did not mean apply to AmEx from TU's site.

I meant that AmEx makes preapproved offers to their customer's via their website. Then I described how to do that at the AmEx site (not the TU site). I wouldn't apply outright unless their credit department told you a time frame, but I would certainly check the preapproval regularly on their site. I think that it tracks whether you are looking there.

Sorry - my comm skills are off today. It isn't you.

13. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

Breeze, thanks for the clarification. Boy, I was way off on that one. But thanks for the info!

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It would really be cool if the CRA's did that, LOL. "Here's your report, you can get an AmEx card with it...click here..."

LOL

15. venomized

venomized Well-Known Member

Can you still go on American Express site to see if there are any pre approvals on my account. I tried the way it was mentioned, and it doesnt seem to be the same way or it doenst work. Thanks.

16. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Back in my day of trying to get AMEX the way was to apply for the skymiles....that's the easy way to get in the door, then call and switch to which ever card you want....