American Express

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Jul 20, 2000.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Today I received the Green Card. They have followed through and very much helped me jumpstart overcoming past credit difficulties.

They gave me an expiration date of 3 yrs on the Card.

I am very impressed with them. I called the AM who helped me through the whole process and thanked her as well.

2. alison

alison Guest

Can you part with the Supervisors name?

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi- If I shared the actual direct line, that particular AMEX employee would not be thrilled :)

Best suggestion - call 1-800-THE CARD,
    tell them your situation, they will transfer you to the appropriate group.

Good Luck! Dogman

4. Rock

Rock Guest

Dogman-
    Should I apply prior to speaking with the rep and wait to be approved/denied? Or should I call the number first and speak with a CS rep?
    Thanks -
    RMD

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

call the rep first and explain you're paying off the bad then, tell them you'd like to restablish a new relationship.

that's how I did it.

6. Rock

Rock Guest

My appologies! I should have stated in my earlier post that I have never had an AMEX card. I have been turned down by a prime bank before and was wondering if I could call AMEX or any other prime bank and speak to a rep concerning the denial. My credit is poor but far from terrible. One paid charge off for less than 200 dollars and one paid (although cronically delinquent account) with discover that was "closed by credit grantor". Both accounts are almost 2 years old. I was lazy as hell in college and blew off all my bills:)
    Since then I have had 2 years of on-time payments and have 3 active credit cards. I wanted to break into the prime banks but I have been getting turned down by those on-line aplications.

merrick for 1 3/4 years
    capital one for 1 year
    providian for 6 mo
    Should I wait out another year? Or find a less prestigious bank:)
    Thanks Dogman,
    Rock

7. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

If it were only the chronically late payments it would still be very iffy, especially is it being relatively recent. Though it certainly is possible to convince a rep (one that has the authorization that is) to grant you a card.

AMEX' policy is to decline anybody with a collection or chargeoff, regardless whether it be 1 day old or 6 years 11 months 29 days and regardless if the amount is two cents or two million.

To get even a lower tier prime card with that recent chargeoff will take either luck a silver tongue on your part.

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

call em- explain exactly what you explained here- and ask for their advice.

I bet you end up with a Card.
    1800THECARD

9. Rock

Rock Guest

That figures. I hoped that if AMEX was capable of looking past, in Dogman's case, an old chapter 13, I may have a chance. Now that I think about it, I am sure you are right that my adolecent negatives are the prime determining factor in my recent denials.
    I was hoping to find a way to get past those damn on-line-FICO-number-crunching aplications. Dogman spoke with a human and won.
    Guess I still have a few more years to go in the sub prime market.

Thanks Steven,
    Rock

10. Hubert X

Hubert X Guest

How about the "sub prime or low credit limit" market? There are a lot of retail or gasoline cards you could probably get now. I notice that the AmEx Gold application asks if you have either of those categories, although the AmEx Blue and Optima Platinum applications do not. If AmEx is looking for those types of cards in successful applicants, why not try to get them now?