American Express

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mick, Sep 6, 2000.

1. mick

mick Guest

Do Not Get American Express Secured Optima
    its a total rip off you are borrowing against your own deposit it does not benefit (reporting to credit bureaus) so what is the point of having this card.
    I had the secured optima card and its not reported on my credit reports and they will make the account unsecured as promised on their website on top of that they will lie to you on 11 month to get you to pay the annual fee and they told me that my account was unsecured to get the annual fee out of me
    that was a total lie after 1 month later they told me to reapply I told them to drop dead close my account and send me my money back from my deposit. Well its 2 months later and I have not recieved my deposit yet.
    Also I could get the "GREEN" card but what is the benefit of it you have to pay the balance in full and pay a large annual fee.

2. John Debto

John Debto Guest

Yeah The Emperor Has No Clothes, it is really laughable that someone on this board is advising others to pay 20 year old AmEx charge offs in order to get a card again, even though it is not their policy to require such payment.

It just goes to show that people really BELIEVE they are getting something from AmEx.

3. Saar

Saar Banned

"It just goes to show that people really BELIEVE they are getting something from AmEx."

Capital One lowered my APR from almost 20% to 12.9% on my secured account, and also approved me for an unsecured account after only 5 months with them, only because I succeeded in getting an Amex. Before I did, the reps laughed at my face whenever I brought it up (I know the phone is not a visual medium, but I could tell).

I don't hear them laughing anymore.

Saar

4. mick

mick Guest

Yes Especially "ladycarr" who can go from a secured optima to a platinum optima after being declined. And her SISTER having only a $100.00 macys card a few months then recieving a $6000.00 Platinum Discover Card Now do we really believe that???

5. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

I am not going to get into a speculative argument about any posters here, but personally I do believe LadyCarr. She has been here longer than me, and has never provided me with any false info.

My stepson is a junior in college, and once he got approved for his first credit card ( a couple years ago)... a small $500 limit BestBuy, the offers came his way freely. He too has a Discover Platinum with a 5K limit. I can't even get a regular Discover account. So, I conclude these creditors/risk managers are willing to chance more on the "credit starters" than they are on the rebuilders like me. I do have a track record, and it isn't pretty.

Peace,

BarryN

6. mick

mick Guest

OK that cool Sorry maybe she is right
    my appologies:)

7. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

No prob.

Are you re-building or new to credit?

Peace,

BarryN

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Mick has quite a story, told often and with great passion.

9. mick

mick Guest

Was rebuilding but I think everthing is ok
    have too many inquires when they are cleared in 6 months I hope I can land a great prime visa or mastercard.

10. mick

mick Guest

11. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

Thanks Barry

It is quite hard to believe the Discover Platinum, but it is true. I've tried so many time to get that card without any success, and then a $100 Macy's limit gets approved for it. I thought about calling Discover to see if they could possibly explain that decision to me. And yes I was able to get the Optima Platinum, but I was disappointed that it didn't come with a Platinum limit. But it has a great fixed 9.9 apr. Barry you can email me for the specifics, if you're interested.

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

SAME HERE SAAR :)