Amex "Accept pre-approval"

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jeff, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

On the Amex website a cardmember can log in before looking at available cards to see possible pre approved offers.

Some available cards have an "Accept pre-approval" button instead of an "Apply now" button.

Does anyone have experience/info. about these pre-approved offers? Are they "real" pre-approvals?

Any info. appreciated.

Jeff

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY ARE "REAL" PRE-APPROVALS...BUT I WAS DENIED!!!!

You are "PRE-APPROVED" until they run your credit report.

THE ONLY GOOD THING IS THEY ASK VERY FEW QUESTIONS...

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think it is a preapproval based on your track record with AmEx, but if they see something they don't like on your CR, they can turn you down.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY COPIED THE SAME EXACT REASON CODES AS THE EQUIFAX SCORE POWER CREDIT REPORT...

5. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Thank you George and Breeze. I appreciate your info.

Don't want to burn another inquiry as I am still scrounging under the cushions for spare FICO.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

F.Y.I. MY F.I.C.O. 685-704 WHEN DENIED (CASH BACK PLATINUM)...BUT I WAS HAVING LOTS OF PROBLEMS GETTING BALANCES UPDATED...PAID OFF, BUT SAID I OWED >$10,000 MORE THAN I DID ACTUALLY OWE!!!

7. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Your FICO is better than mine George. I am at 653 FICO and got my Amex at about 620. Maybe

I have a personal banking relationship that I think is more responsible for my Amex card than my credit score.

All of the Amex pre approvals seem too good to be true.