AMEX and Providian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jfpruitt, Jul 26, 2001.

1. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

I have an AMEX charge card(the green one) is it true that it hurts your score?? If I want to upgrade to a Blue CC what are their criteria to get one?? What score do you need and what CRA do they pull?? Also, what are anyone's thoughts/comments on Providian??

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

There are posts here regarding if Amex Green hurts or helps your FICO. Check it out.

Providian is good if you are in subprime land. Good CL limits, APRs are high but can be reduced if you call rentention. But there seems to be a shift in policy regarding APR reductions and CL raises by the CS reps.

Beware they do have some crappy terms if you credit is really bad. example low starting Cl and no grace.

Best regards,
    Sam

3. jfpruitt

Well the reason I ask is b/c I already have providian with a crappy $500 limit..but thats b/c my credit was bad in the past...now that its improved almost 100% I should be eligible for Prime cards now. I called to cancel it yesterday and the lady talked me into keeping it b/c I could upgrade to a better card soon when they recheck my credit..but wasnt sure if the "better" card is really better...

4. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

The way I see it, if this Providian account is old and in good standing keep it. When in the rebuilding stages any and all positive tradlines are helpful.

Best regards,
    Sam

5. jfpruitt

Well I started out with 14 cards, I cancelled First USA, 1st Financial, Discover, 2 capital One's, Fashion Bug, Dillards, and Target. Now I have 4 Bank Cards, and 2 Store Cards.

6. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

about Amex & scores, high 600 for Green, Gold and Blue and very high 600~low 700 for Platinum.