AMEX Anniversary-Member since 2000

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Jun 12, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey all - I just snapped AMEX and saw I was billed for the $55.00 annual fee for my first year ANNIVERSARY with excellent AMEX credit now for going on 12 months.

I will now try for a Gold or Blue shortly. But I love the Green Card. As I looked at the fee, I decided to type this. I hope my friend Jason at AMEX reads this one!

The $55.00 annual fee and Dogman's favorite benefits and some uses for the Card:

1. The ability to not worry about a limit -
    particularly good for me with car and hotel.

2. I make a good income - so the ability to purchase what I want is great. The Card bought my Sony Wega and, Direct TV bills AMEX every month.

3. American Express is proudly accepted and the no set limit really preferred at Bellagio in Las Vegas! :)

4. Here is one of the most vitally important benefits AMEX has provided - an AMEX entry on my credit. THIS WAS A HUGE AMOUNT OF LEVERAGE.
    After a month, AMEX was reporting to all bureaus.

THEN, I started contesting interest rates on my dog Visa/MC cards.
    This strategy, (which I learned on this board), has allowed me to get 12.9% with Cap One - now $3100-
    dump Providian for a rate increase - don't need the line since I have the Card, get FCNB $5K unsecured,
    Nextcard $2500.

5. Membership Rewards - the best deal going. I have over 20K points now - and there is some really sharp merchandise I could get now.

The main thing we have all learned here is that old mistakes can be forgiven by AMEX. We also know that when conditions are "shaky" about getting a card, we probably need to talk to a Centurion Bank Acct MGR about the situation. My AMEX reporting helped my credit score improve by 100 points over the year I've carried the Card.

6. Financial health! Its amazing that by having the charge card - one year later -my premium card has no balance, literally no restrictions on reasonable spending, and never even a threat of a late or overlimit fee. It changes your entire perspective about ANY INTEREST RATE - why put it on Visa anymore - grace periods yes, but no Membership Rewards!

OTHER Maybe Amusing PLACES I use the Card:

I use the Card at Union 76 and clipped up my gas card.

I used the Card and paid for an expensive dinner when my relatives (sister and friends ) were in SF.
    I called AMEX future spending (then a 2 or 3 month old Cardmember) and the guy approved my dinner up to $4400. I remember these specific numbers.

I use the Card for an occasional japanese massage at Kabuki Hot Spring.

I bought a Toshiba laptop at OfficeMax for $1600, then returned it, and my Card was credited back the next day.

I bought my Team Christmas gifts with the "Be My Guest" dining cards. They were a hit.

I do all my shopping on the internet with AMEX.

I had traveller checks charged to the Card and delivered to my office for a slight fee, the next morning.

SO - is AMEX just a debit card? Nope.
    The $55.00 annual fee bought me a new life and a new chance.

SO - is Dogman a happy customer? Yes - but I would pay $1000 for Centurion....
    I recommend the product.

c ya Dogman

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Dog, congrats on your anniversary with AMEX. You should be very proud of how far you have come in the credit world. It's was very kind of you to share your story of your rebuilding process with AMEX. Now bring on the blue baby:)

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi Mom- saw you on the buddy list that you were on :)

c ya - you know where to find the dog! :)

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Now wait there just a minute! I didn't know the allow Dogs in the Bellagio. I thought you were at the Mirage? And how about those dancing fountains?

I think I need a vacation again :)

Saar

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

you saw that huh Saar? :)

6. King-AMEX

King-AMEX Member

Cool Dogman!! I am enjoying my Platinum card as well. I flyout to NY tomorrow, and had concierge service get me a reservation at the Daniel French restaurant (had no idea which of the fine dining restaurants was the closest to my hotel--so they found it for me!), a nice room at the Plaza (with a free upgrade and $50 gift card), and a good deal on a car rental from Avis (free upgrade). Of course the plane tickets and car rental are compliments of Membership Rewards!

Hope that we can get you a Gold card soon!!

7. steve

steve Well-Known Member

dogman, you mentioned that your score went up 100 points right after AMEX started reporting to the CRA, that is a big jump. It looks like having an AMEX card does look good on your reports. I really like the Member since thing written on my Optima Platinum card. Many people, including relatives, are confusing this with the Platinum charge card and that's really cool. Hope you get the Blue or Gold soon!!!

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi Jason - sounds like all is well. I am still managing
    the "BEAST" which gets larger every day as you know.

Jason, a year later, its not even critical what color Card I carry - although Gold, Plat, and Black are certainly goals :)

Your company is outstanding. Now, after reading the e-surance thread, I want to scope AMEX auto insurance.

BE CAREFUL with that car in NYC!

c ya Dogman

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Dog, here's the number in case you need it:)

1-800-842-3344

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

hey steve - just to clarify one thing - the score improved 100 points over the year. I had and continue to try to improve my score - FYI - 100% of my negatives DROP 10-2003.

AMEX was the very significant factor - others creditors obviously thought that if AMEX approved the guy, they had looked at personal resources, etc, that
    would allow qualification.

I believe AMEX is a huge FICO booster - if you can get one. That's the point.

I would like to carry your Card. They do look like the Platinum Charge Card and are obviously command respect!

best regards - dogman

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

KEWL MOM!

NICE! Since I have fabulous DSL, I will dial the number while online .... will let you know.

THANKS! Dogman

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AMEX Auto Insurance

Mom - just finished talking to AMEX. The price was $3.80 more every six months with this variation:

property liability /G / 300K/300K
    /AMEX/ 250K/500K
    same for a couple more policy entries.

She will fax me the stuff to read tomorrow - we went over the GEICO policy line by line.

I GET MEMBERSHIP REWARDS if I charge it to the Card!

They are so close in price.....hmmmm......

More to follow - THX Dogman

13. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Re: AMEX Auto Insurance

What was your Fico when you got the card?

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

FICO

Nice way to ask the question. I will say I am closer to 700 than 600 now! :)

15. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

congratulations

Dogman, congrats on your anniversary with AmEx!

I'm a Member since 01 -04/01- I didn't know, now I know: two months later I can say....AmEx is great!!! I'm very happy.

:)

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Re: congratulations

Thanks surphie - they do provide a totally different experience.

FUNNY - no one ever congratulated anybody on their anniversary with the exclusive ASPIRE Diamond Deluxe Sooper Mastercard with the 40% interest rate. :)

dogman

17. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

yeah!!!
    hehe :)

18. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

Hey Dogman!

Congrats on the year! So does that mean I should fax Rocco and tell him you won't be needing that Cross Country card?

Seriously, thanks for posting all that you posted when you were getting the card. That info helped several of my clients get back into the Amex fold.

Curiouser

19. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Hey Dogman

Appears all is going well with you. That's good. Congrats on that one year anniversary.

LOL about Aspire Diamond. Thanks to this board, I didn't respond to those pre-approvals. If I wasn't educated about credit, you would be congratulating (????) ME on my one year diamond anniversary!!

You are THE big Dog of Amex. If you didn't push me so hard, I wouldn't be enjoying my card :-D I must say, my experience has been awesome. I am truly impressed with their products, services and customer support.

Take care bud!!

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I want that Cross Country Bank GOLD VISA - the one that has the monthly fee of 8 or $10 for the privilege of carrying their card.

:0 dogman