AMEX Blue increase!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rackt3, Sep 12, 2003.

1. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

Got my Blue in march with an initial line of $2000. Now that I'm 6 months in, I decided to call and get an increase over the phone.

Well, they have now increased my limit to $17,800...and they didn't even pull an inquiry! It was quite painless. I love AMEX :)

2. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

Wow...that's a HUGE increase. Congrats! I suppose you have a rather high income for them to bump you that much at once?

3. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Great Job Rackt.

4. me

me Well-Known Member

I know other people have had difficulties as well increasing their CL. I'm not one of them though. I started out with 5K in 1999 and upto 30K now at 7.99%

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ME---4 YEARS OF NONE...

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ANYWAY...

I HAVE 8.99% AND CAN'T GET 7.99%

6. nickpaige

nickpaige Well-Known Member

Re: Re: AMEX Blue increase!!

I fully believe in the idea of "UYGF"
    It seems that no matter what other CNers have/done/get, poor old GEORGE cannot. I wonder how wonderful GEORGE's credit reports are. He's had 20+ years of perfect credit and still gets no respect. He pays his balances off, score goes down. He uses his cards, score goes down. He opens a new account, score goes down. Has 20 years of history, score doesn't increase. UYGF!

7. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

I actually called yesterday, and the girl I spoke to got my info down, and said she'd send my application in, but it'd take 7 to 10 days (I was thinking there'd be an inquiry).

I checked back on this site, to see what luck others have had, and the two posts I looked at said they got the decision right away. That's when I called back and spoke to someone else (who apparently knew more about credit line increases).

By the way, I didn't ask for centurion bank, but the customer service guy did transfer me to a different department since customer service doesn't handle these

8. livefromny

livefromny Active Member

You went from $2000 to $17,800 in just one increase after only 6 months???!!!???

We're there any other variables at play here? Did you're credit report change significantly since you got the card? Did you ask for $17k or is that what they offered?

Wow!

9. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

At the time that I got approved for the card, I had just finished up cleaning my credit. They denied my application twice. The second time, I called and got a supervisor who then approved me after me trying to convince her, but with a $2000 limit. I was told the $2,000 limit was to see how things go, and then they'd consider giving me a better limit.

My credit did improve, considering I have since gotten rid of my subprime cards, and replaced them with prime ones with better credit lines.. but that didn't come into play anyway since they never pulled my report. All they asked for was my income, and how much I want to raise it to. I said $15,000, but asked how much I qualify for. That's when he told me I qualified for $17,800

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!

11. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Do you know how quickly it reflected on your report?

Planing on a round of line increase and rate reduction requests with existing creditors as well as applying for new 0% intro cards and was wondering what order it should be done in and how it would affect score and review/application decisions.

Is it better to apply for new cards first and then ask for review of existing accounts before activating new cards or the other way around? I know inquiries from the new apps will ding the score, but will new accounts receive lower limits if existing are increased prior to applying?

12. livefromny

livefromny Active Member

Re: Re: Re: AMEX Blue increase!!

Thanks for the info. I was just approved for the Blue and would like to set myself up for a healthy CL increase in 6 months.

Can you tell us anything about your usage? Did you pay in full each month or carry a balance?