AMEX Blue Membership Rewards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Oct 5, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I just got an email from AMEX Blue customer service indicating that my current blueloot account will be automatically upgraded to a fee free Membership Rewards options program. I think most of the benefits are the same as the regular Membership Rewards program: points never expire, can link to frequent flier accounts, etc. I still can't believe that I can now get air miles that never expire for no annual fee with Blue. I love AMEX!!!

2. Saar

Saar Banned

I like the idea, but remember they have a 50% inferior conversion rate to FF/guest programs, in comparison w/ ordinary MR points. But hey, we get these for free, so I'm not complaining :)

Saar

3. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with a rep from the MR dept. and she told me that the enrollment fee for Membership Rewards options will be waived the first year for people who were upgraded from blueloot, but I will be charged $40 next year. Since the fee will be the same as for the regular Membership Rewards program, will the point conversion rate be the same?

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Just spoke to another AMEX MR rep and she told me that the annual fee for MR options is not $40, but $15 and the conversion rate is half that of the regular Membership Rewards program. Anyone know which is the correct info? I think a $15/yr. enrollment fee is pretty reasonable for such a flexible rewards program.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Membership Rewards (MR) vs. Membership Rewards Options (MRO).

As for MRO -- as a bonus, it's nice, but as a paid program it would suck. For example, you'd have to spend almost $42,000 to get enough MRO points that allow a 1 night stay at a NYC Sheraton hotel; Whereas, if you have the Amex Starwood card, you can get the same benefit when you only spend $7,000.

If I ever pay for a rewards program, MRO won't be it.

Saar

6. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I spoke to a supervisor and found out that since I enrolled in blueloot right after AMEX Blue came out almost two years ago, I will not be charged the $15 enrollment fee. I think this fee will be charged for Blue members who never enrolled in blueloot and would like to sign up for Membership Rewards Options now. So, I get the grandfather rate of $0 which is really cool! The conversion rate is still half that of the regular Membership Rewards program, but that's fine with me.

7. Saar

Saar Banned

There's a loophole that may allow you to redeem BlueLoot points at regular MR rate. It's probably not worth it if all you have is a few thousand points.

I won't post it here, but if you're interested, e-mail me.

Saar