Amex Blue retention?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by the other, Jul 19, 2001.

1. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Has anybody dealt with Amex Blue retention? How were they with getting you what you wanted?

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

the other,

I dealt with them a couple of months ago concerning an increase on my Blue account. They were great. I went through the speech of how I love the card, but I'm looking to buy ....(fill in the blank) in the future and the credit limit I have is not sufficient. They immediately transferred me to Centurion Bank and asked me how much I wanted. It worked. And they didn't pull a credit report.

Dani

PS Unfortunately, I tried this same speech with Discover and it didn't work.

3. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Thanks!

That is my issue with them. I opened the account in 4/00 with a 2k limit. I just recently got a $500 increase on the internet. I called to complain because a $2500 limit just doesn't cut it. The rep. I spoke with said she would have sent me over to Centurian bank, but because I took the $500, I need to wait 6 months before they can do anything now. So in 6 months, I will call and see what they can do.

Today, I combined my Citi cards. Now, other than Blue, my lowest limit on any account is 10k.

4. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I'm glad I could help. Let us know what happens in six months.

Dani

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Unfortunately, Amex Consumer Retention cannot grant increases. It has to go the usual route (pre-approval or Centurion Bank), and once you accept an increase offer, no further increases are possible for the next 6 months.

Possible solution: Apply for another Amex credit card & combine limits. This can be done any time (if the new card is approved).

Saar

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WAS TOLD TO APPLY FOR AN INCREASE ON-LINE.

I WAS TOLD TO APPLY FOR A SECOND CARD TO SEE IF THE NEW CARD CAME WITH THE LOWER 10.99% INTEREST RATE.

I ACCEPTED A "PRE-APPROVED" OFFER FOR THE AMEX CASH BACK PLATNIUM CARD, BUT WAS DENIED.

JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.