AMEX Blue vs. Gold

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Nov 10, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Just wondering, which is harder to get ? Is it easier to get the Gold if you have Blue ?

Thanks.

2. Herman

Herman Well-Known Member

Hi Steve!

I got the Gold according to my Secured Optima paying history. They didn't pull a credit report on me.

I think if you are currently a Amex cardmember with perfect payments history things will get a lot better.

Herman

3. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

I'm interested in an answer to the question...

Which is harder to get overall (even for new applicants)... Gold or Blue?

Doc

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

why dont you call up amex and ask them? they know the "internal score" for each card, and could tell you "Which one is harder" in that respect.

I'd put my money on blue. Since my bro get a gold charge after 7 months of credit history (total). He was like 19 and not a college student.

i tried for "green" and "blue" and was denied. Then i got the "delta skymiles" approved with about 650 score on efx. I changed this to an optima platinum card. This card carries 10% APR (variable prime+4%) 3.9% for 6 months, and 8.9% BT for life. The only thing i believe that is different from blue and this card is the look and the smart chip thing...

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Well I applied for Blue and Green on the same day and was instantly denied for Blue and approved for Green. I applied for Blue before I applied for Green. That should settle the discussion.

6. PsychDoc

Well, Dave, that certainly WOULD settle the discussion if this thread were titled "AMEX Blue vs. Green".

Doc :)

7. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Sam, did you apply for Green, Blue and the Delta card all at once? Since I was denied for Blue and approved for Green I'm wondering if I should try for the Delta card now, or if I should just hold off for a few months and see if I get preapproved for something.

8. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

That's what I get for reading and replying to messages in one window and trying to work on repairing a server cluster in another window. :)

I'm loosing my ability to multitask in my old age.

9. Herman

Herman Well-Known Member

PsychoDoc,

Due to respect,

The way I see it is a totally different perspective.

American Express Centurion Bank issued all Credit Cards.

American Express Travel Related Services Co Inc issued all Charge cards.

Some Charge Card application in a small print cited:

ALTERNATE APPLICATION FOR THE OPTIMA CARD
    In the event that I do not qualify for the American Express Card, you may consider my application and all information contained in it to be an application for an Optima Card issued by American Express Centurion Bank.

So, I believed the Gold Card is harder to get overall.

Herman

10. PsychDoc

Herman, what's so disrespectful about coming up with a good answer? LOL! Looks like you're probably right! Gold Charge Card may well beat out AmEx Blue in the "hardest to get" category. (Or, maybe, the Optima series of cards is easier to get than Blue, in which case we're back to square one.) Anybody know the minimum scores each card requires?

Doc

11. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Doc, I was told by a amex rep a score of at least 650 and NO negs, when I asked about requirements for blue.

mindy

12. PsychDoc

Hi, Mindylou, I just called AmEx New Accounts (1-800-641-2400) and was told something similar -- every American Express card requires scores of at least 650 and few if any negatives. She did add that there were some variability in requirements from card to card, however.

I asked which was tougher to get, AmEx Blue or AmEx Gold. She said, and this is as near a direct quote as I can paraphrase, "Well, that's a tough call. I can tell you that Green is easier to get, but the difference in requirements between Blue and Gold are difficult to nail down. Let's put it this way -- the charge cards are easier to get generally than the credit cards because the charge cards don't allow you to carry balances. Everything else being equal, in order to qualify for revolving credit your income must be higher and your credit must be better. So even though Blue and Gold are at about the same level, I'd give the edge to Blue with respect to qualifying new members."

Hmm, that wasn't exactly a definitive answer, but at least it was an answer of sorts. Sounds like Blue and Gold are pretty much tied.

Doc

13. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Alright Doc,
    Would that be, She gives the "edge" in their favor? or She gives the "edge" in our favor? as to qualifying new members...

I mean you asked her which is harder to get, and she gave the Blue, the "edge" with respect to qualifying new members. I think we are no closer to the answer...LOL

-Peace, Dave

14. PsychDoc

LOL, Dave, no she gave the edge to Blue as being slightly more difficult to acquire since it incorporates revolving credit privileges.

Doc