AMEX card approval process

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rackt3, Dec 4, 2002.

1. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone applied for an AMEX card and received instant approval? Or does it always take time?

I applied for an AMEX platinum card yesterday after I got my EQ all clean. The internet message after I submitted said I'd receive a response in 7-10 business days.

On pulling my report today, I see AMEX did in fact pull from equifax. EFX still has no derogs, and a score of 721 (oldest account is 7 years old). Should I call AMEX, or just be patient and wait? I'm nervous because this is my first time ever applying for a prime card with a clean credit report.

2. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Call 1-800-600-2583 That is the automated system. If it isn't updated, follow the prompts to get a rep to ask.

3. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

After I posted that, I went back to the website to re-read everything on the platinum card I applied for. Now I feel stupid! :) I thought platinum cards are all the same... apparently AMEX is special!

In my excitment of having a clean EQ report, and knowing AMEX pulls EQ, I didn't read that the annual fee is $395, and the minimum income to get the card is $100,000..and a bunch of other things that would've deterred me from applying for it. I should've taken the time to read everything.

Anyway, I called to see if they could still use the inquiry from yesterday to apply towards different card, and they said no... I'd have to reapply, and have another report pulled. Basically, I've wasted an inquiry :( Not sure if I should apply for something else. I now have 4 hards on my report.

By the way, how many hards is too many?

4. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Well, the first time I applied, I was denied for too many inq's and because I didn't have 2 cards with at least 3 years perfect history. At the time I had 4 inq's and 2 had just been pulled by them.

I waited about 3 months for another card to hit the 3 year mark and let bumpage do it's thing. I then reapplied and was immediately approved.

5. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot LKH. I'm at 4 hards right now (1 by them). So with your information, I'll hold off on applying for anything right now until bumpage goes into effect again.

I must say though,all this talk about split files with EQ really scares me about pulling my report everyday

6. luxury4me

luxury4me Well-Known Member

It certainly seems possible that Amex could automatically offer you one of their other charge cards, e.g., green or gold, if they don't feel that you qualify for their platinum charge card yet.