AMEX cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hi all, I was just wondering those of you who have either the AMEX Platinum, Optima Platinum, or any of the AMEX charge cards, do you get treated differently when you use your cards? I just got and used my Optima Platinum to buy some office supplies and the CSR had a look of awe on her face as she charged my card. I think it's really cool to get this kind of attention with the Optima Platinum. Maybe lots of folks confuse Optima Platinum with the AMEX Platinum charge card. I'll see what reception my card gets at a restaurant pretty soon.

2. Russ

Russ Guest

hey mike you should see the looks on peoples face when I whip out my 7-11 aluminum select card betty.....they freak out on me with laughter!! hehe hey mikey..pssst..cmere...ay..its onlt a pladtic card dude! ogay?

3. rob

rob Guest

I don't think that most merchants really notice what the card is or what it looks like - hell, the hardly ever check the signature on the back. I get ooooos and aaaaahs when I use it around friends or family, etc, but no merchant has really ever paid close attention.

4. rob

rob Guest

Just ignore Russ...

5. Russ

Russ Guest

hey im not a flamer im just trying to keep things light is all. i have real credit issues and im not here to throw insults!!! i learn alot here and i like it!

6. rob

rob Guest

ok!

7. Russ

Russ Guest

i just cant help teasing someone who is concerned with what people think of his credit status. its not hard to impress youre average cashier. most cant buy a tootsie roll on credit so..

8. Russ

Russ Guest

happy shopping with you card mike.im going to sleep

9. rob

rob Guest

Amex is a status symbol for credit cards - come on, wouldn't you like to show off a glossy platinum Amex card ;)

10. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

"Status.... We Don't Need No Stinken Status..."

After receiving Amex Plat., I was very happy... But, now that the show is over, and the novelty has worn off, it is no big deal...

It is still really cool though

11. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I think the new AMEX Platinum "status" will wear off on me eventually, but not just yet. This is coming form a guy who had no credit history just three years ago except for one crappy department store card.

12. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

My goal here is to build my credit to buy a house with great terms.
    I think we all have our own goals and what makes us happy ---if yours if different than mine, more power to you.
    Let's all help each other

AnnMarie

13. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I think we all have the same goal of buying a house someday or moving into better homes in better neighborhoods. I just feel that Platinum status is a great way to get there. We all want car and mortgage loans at great rates, it's just our approaches that vary to some extent.

14. mj

mj Well-Known Member

I get more looks with Blue than any of the other precious metal cards in my wallet!

Seriously folks - Platinum means nothing ... and to be honest, most merchants just flip the card over after swiping it and only see the signature panel!

The only "status" that really counts is...

1) The credit limit (or lack thereof with Amex)
    2) How quickly the customer service people respond to you and your needs
    3) The benefits (points, miles, cash back, etc) the card gives you
    4) The amount the card costs you (APR and/or fees)

Don't get bamboozled by empty marketing hype - use your cards, enjoy the benefits, and quit worrying about what other people think. They probably don't!

-mj