AMEX cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hi all, I've heard that some people have recently upgraded their AMEX charge cards. Does anyone know if AMEX puts a hard inquiry on your report when they do this? Is it easier to upgrade an existing account with AMEX than to apply for the new card?

Thanks.

2. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Depends what you are upgrading to and the offer. If you are pre-approved, they might do a soft inquiry and ask for income verification. If you apply "cold turkey" then a hard inquiry will be done

3. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Jason, I have Blue and Optima Platinum. I actually got Blue when it was first introduced so it is one of my oldest cards. I got the Optima Platinum two months ago. I'm thinking about going for the Plat. charge card next year when my recent inquiries fall off. I was wondering if it would be easier to go for Rewards Plus Gold now and then upgrade to Platinum next year or go straight for the Platinum next year. Provided that my credit hopefully remains good, which would be the easier way to get the Platinum?

Thanks.

4. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Mike hello,

I think I posted an answers earlier, but you might have missed it with all the people on here.

It might help a little to the get the Gold since you will be active user in the "charge card family"--but it will not hurt you if you do not get the Gold since platinum is based on your income and credit report and spending pattern within AMEX--which you will establish with Blue and you Optima, but you want to get the Rewards Plus Gold card (RPG) so that you can see if platinum is really what you want (although it sounds like you do), that way you can see how the Gold works and decide from there.
    Hope that helps you out, good luck!

5. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Does AMEX do income verification when applying for Gold or Platinum? I remember seeing on the AMEX website that there is no minimum income requirement for these cards if you already have an established AMEX account. Anyway, I usually put down total household income, not just my income which is not much right now. Is it okay to mention total household income when applying for Rewards Plus or Platinum?

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SAYS TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME

RANGES ON PULL DOWN...

7. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

when they ask for income is that based on last year's income (ie:IRS 1040- for 2000) or this year's income and the projected total at the end of 2001?

Best regards,
    Sam

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THIS YEARS TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME...

BEST GUESS.

$0-$11,999
    $12,000-$14,999
    $15,000-$19,999
    $20,000-$39,999
    ETC.....
    >$1,000,000 THAT ME...JUST KIDDING...

9. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Any guess is what income is needed for a particular Amex card?

I think the green Amex is $15,000 annual.

Best regards,
    Sam

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

$20,000+ FOR THE AMEX CASH BACK...but if you have another AMEX card of any kind, the minimum income is waived.

11. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

AMEX Green - $15,000+
    AMEX Gold, Blue, Optima - $20,000+
    AMEX Platinum - $100,000+

All of these are waived if you already have another AMEX account.