AMEX charge cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hi all, I posted a question about this earlier, but now I have a different question so I'm posting it now. I heard that if you're already an AMEX cardmember, specifically if you have their credit cards like Blue and Optima, AMEX looks at your spending pattern with those cards before approving you for their Gold and Platinum charge cards. Does this mean that if you carry a balance with an AMEX credit card, you may not be approved for a higher level charge card? Do they think you are carrying a balance because you cannot make payments in full and so you should not get a Gold charge card for example? I used to pay off my Blue balances in full, but I carry a balance now because of the 9.9%. I do pay off all the balances on my higher interest cards every month though.

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I think it would be more likely for Amex to extend additional credit to someone because they do have a balance. If you pay off your Blue and Optima card in full each month Amex makes no money off you. As long as you pay on time I don't see an individual having a problem being accepted for a Green or Gold charge card. Of course, I'm going to hold out for my pre-approved Plantium (probably not in this lifetime).
    Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Dani

3. Lionel

Lionel Guest

I don't disagree with Dani, but remember AMEX makes a percentage of every one of your purchases that is processed (slightly more than VISA/MC does}, so what they make in fees or interest from you is not always a consideration.