Amex charge-off

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by C, Apr 24, 2001.

1. C

C Guest

I had a charge-off with Amex in September 1997. I must say they were very nice to me, not charging interest on it and so on...and I am happy to say that I finally paid it off this month. I wrote to them and asked if they would remove it from my credit report. This was 3 months ago...I finally got a letter last week saying that once it showed that I had paid it off, they would post it as a paid charge-off. Woah, woah, woah! I admit, this isn't what I wanted at all. I want it removed completely. Does anyone think there's anyway I could get them to remove it completely? Or am I grasping at straws here? I really don't want this on my report for another 3 years. Thanks.

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Amex charge-off
    Author: C (dialup59-20.csuohio.edu)
    Date: 04-24-01 16:54

I had a charge-off with Amex in September 1997. I must say they were very nice to me, not charging interest on it and so on...and I am happy to say that I finally paid it off this month. I wrote to them and asked if they would remove it from my credit report. This was 3 months ago...I finally got a letter last week saying that once it showed that I had paid it off, they would post it as a paid charge-off. Woah, woah, woah! I admit, this isn't what I wanted at all. I want it removed completely. Does anyone think there's anyway I could get them to remove it completely? Or am I grasping at straws here? I really don't want this on my report for another 3 years. Thanks.
    --------------------------------------

Reply To Message ==You shoulden't have paid it before they removed it : You just lost your leverage!
    You might try disputing it as npt mine .

3. C

C Guest

Not mine? What do you mean? Should I dispute it directly with the credit bureaus or what? I've read posts about Equifax reps who delete stuff while you're on the phone with them. Is this true?

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Amex Credit Bureau Unit: (954)503-3787.

In my experience, most reps there are morons. You have to ask for a supervisor and nag them to death. Their software CAN remove the whole tradeline, if they tell it to.

This Amex unit is by far the worst in customer service. Don't call unless your ready for a fight.

Saar

5. C

C Guest

Thanks! I prefer to send letters though. I can't believe AMEX doesn't have a 1-800 number for that. I've paid so much money on hold to a long-distance number. It's ridiculous. But thanks.

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Amex Credit Bureau Unit
    PO Box 7871
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329

Good luck. (You're going to need it).

Saar

7. C

C Guest

One more thing...do paid charge-offs carry the same sort of negative weight on a credit report as a charge-off that isn't being paid?

8. CYA

CYA Well-Known Member

not as bad, but still a derog

9. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Why should they write it off? Credit companies do not write off late payments made on an account after you made the payment for the previous month. The purpose of a credit record is to show a long-term history of how you manage money, and payment history is critical to that. Even if you have a BK and then pay off the balance, it will not be removed--you must wait at least 7 years, and that is the same for all other payment indicators on your report. A paid charge off certaintly looks better than a non-paid charge off

10. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

May look better but there is no evidence it will help your FICO which is what really matters.