AMEX/Circuit City/Direct TV

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Nov 11, 2000.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

As you all know, I build Internet and love all new technology. I built computers, radios, anything as a kid and still love latest and greatest.

I bought my SONY 32" WEGA XBR400 HDTV ready
    from Cruthchfield on the internet 2 weeks ago, and it is GREAT and on as I type this.

THE PICTURE is DAZZLING! For 2K it should be!
    BUT even better with DVD and of course the complete SONY Home Digital Theater System I bought with 6 speakers.

BUT to upgrade to full HIGH DEFINITION -
    today at Circuit City I bought:

1.RCA DTC100 High Definition DirecTV Plus
    HDTV receiver.
    2.RCA HUGHES HDTV Satellite Dish
    3.Signed up for and activated DirecTV.

B4 the saleman even wrote up the charges for the RCA HDTV receiver, he asked for a credit card to "pre-qualify" for DirecTV.

I handed the AMEX and he ran it thru the machine, then I signed it.
    It was the quick agreement that stated I was paying $60 month for one yr minimum for DirecTV PLUS (high definition).

Then he ran the bill on the other equipment- receiver, sattelite dish, cabling,
    etc etc. The bill came to a total of $1267
    out the door.

They install the new DISH (which I picked up
    today) and hook to the Home Theater next Saturday.

THEN, I got home, called DirecTV - told them
    which package I wanted - then they asked for my SS#. Then asked how I preferred to pay for DirecTV?

I said AMEX. He took the Card #, tapped a key, and welcomed me to DirecTV.

POINT:

With Amex, yup, I gotta pay this within 30 days - which of course I can do. But, no worry at all about if my Cap One had $1500 left until over limit time, etc. No worry.

AND signing up with DirecTV was a snap - and my monthly payments are no worry either. IF
    I had used a V/MC with a limit, some month, some year, I would go over the limit because I would forget when a DirecTV payment came out.

The incredible thing is how by using AMEX,
    the treatment was superb, first class, fast, priority.

No hassling or waiting at the finance office for the Circuit City credit card.
    AND NO CHARGE TO ME!

AMEX has been reporting fine on all reports, the Card is exactly the flexibility I need.

Dogman

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: AMEX/Circuit City/Direct T

Dogman, I'd say you are in AMEX HEAVEN. Sweet Dreams.

roni.

3. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

Hey I could totally relate Dogman :)) That Zbr sony flat screen is amazing . I was checking it out at circut city Yesterday, they offer a 12 month interet free deal . I was honestly about to go for it, but i thought twice lol . I got my DTV installed a week ago love it,Also That sony surround can't beat it. I'm just missing that TV . The 36" is definatly Amazing but That Digital picture quality On yours is just out there. I'm gonna have to do alot of thinking before I make a move . Good Luck .
    hope you injoy ur system to the Fullest . Once agian Amex Comes through :) ..

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Wow. nice stuff dude. (SLOBBER!).

do they broadcast local Tv in hdtv there? :)

Amex rocks, its by far the most uber "PRIME" card as roni and others call it. Years ago my gf had one, they attached her optima line to the primary card so if she couldn't pay off the full amount, you could sign over a balance from the charge card to the revolving (optima) line.

they still do that?

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Amex promises and delivers. I've noticed a few things about them:

1. Amex charge cards: they now have a program that allows one to move existing traveling charges to a pay-over-time plan. This may gradually eliminate the distinction between charge cards and credit cards.

2. They are very quick to report to the bureaus. At first I was issued an Amex Green by mistake (which was later corrected - replaced by Opt Plat). I had the Green for only 9 days total, and it still hit the credit reports.

3. Their Private Payment program is so simple to use; Makes you wonder why no one in the credit industry has ever thought about it before.

Saar

6. river

river Well-Known Member

I can say ,"for the short period of time that I have been with them", Customer Service has been awesome. They are curtious and don't mind going "out of their way" to return calls and fax requested information.I am very surprize that I get the quality of service for a "secure" card that other CC companies consider sub-prime with sub-prime CS. I will go that extra mile to have it reported to CB's(since they don't report the Optima secure). It's worthy in my opinion.

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

YUP - they do broadcast true high def in San Fran. But I'll be getting the signal off the satellites in southern sky.

FYI - now one channel of HBO broadcasts 24 hrs a day in HDTV.

I only have the one card - not sure about your Optima question.

CYA
    Dog

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Sam, YOu are the one who start

this whole prime, subprime topic hear. This is not this topic, but you used my name and I have to address your statement. You insulted many a few days ago with your statements about citibank. Not only are people tired of the entire topic, but people are also tired of every few days someone stating that citi is 'giving away cards like candy', or 'is now a subprime bank' to name a few. It is obvious why Citi bank is approving those with credit blemishes for cards. $$$$. It is about money and getting in on the profits that companies like Cap 1 and Providian are enjoying. So, I reiterate, you are the one who spoke of prime, subprime, intersest rates, etc. I dont care about prime or subprime or even interest rates. I pay my balances down each month leaving just a few dollars on the card. I also never carry a balance which can not be paid in 3 months based on my income. Therefore the APR is not too significant to me. I do like carrying a Chase or Citibank card over a Providian card. Why? Because my friends do not ask me my Apr at citi bank. It probably does not cross their mines. They dont ask me if I pay an annual fee. But they do recognize a Classic providian "as advertised across the country". Whether they ask or not, that card triggers 'credit troubles' in their mind. I know this has nothing to do with Circuit city or direct tv, but you choice the AMEX part of this question, to drag up the prime/subprime issue again. Which I find ironic because you have bad credit and you only have a supprime sea of cards. I think that should tell me something. you are probably just a little envious of all the citi talk. You are not the first. Work on your credit,like you said you are in your earlier post,and then citi will maybe give you a chance. Later. But Not now obviously.

roni.

sam wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Wow. nice stuff dude. (SLOBBER!).

do they broadcast local Tv in hdtv there? :)

Amex rocks, its by far the most uber "PRIME" card as roni and others call it. Years ago my gf had one, they attached her optima line to the primary card so if she couldn't pay off the full amount, you could sign over a balance from the charge card to the revolving (optima) line.

they still do that?

9. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Dogman;
    I have used my AMEX since I became a member in 1986. Last year I decided to use the Delta Optima because of the frequent miles. I have accumulated over 40,000 miles just using the card. It is great.

http://www.creditsense.com

10. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I don't know about transferring the balance, but you can sign up for extended payment. I know the gold card allows it.

http://www.creditsense.com

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

How are you bud? :)
    YUP - my neighbor downstairs has the Delta Card, the one upstairs AMEX GOLD Rewards Plus,
    and now me AMEX Green Card.
    Any variety is great because they all have the great benefits.
    CYA - Dogman

12. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: roni chill

I have a citi, roni, chill. I'm done with the whole prime-subprime @!#$. I got in on the citibank silver, and gold like you did. Great. end of discussion.

Let's just drop the whole prime thing, aint worth arguing.

ok, truce. i'll close my trap now.

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: roni chill

point taken and closure need.

roni.