AMEX Corp Centurion Black Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Does this card actually exist????

I was watching a music video just now and there was a verse about AMEX and it showed a Corporate Black card. Interesting.....it looked just like the regular Centurion Black card but with the words "Corporate" printed underneath where it says American Express.

2. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. My dad had one. Big deal. It inflated his already large ego. Basically, it's for people who can pay to have services that are out of this world. I mean, for instance, let's say you were stranded in Afghanistan and the Northern Alliance and Taliban were at war nearby. If you could get to a phone, could call Amex customer service and you had the Black centurion card, they would (I kid you not!) charter a helicopter to there and pick you up, provided you can pay. That was one of the perks, emergency rescue in case of war, natural disaster, etc, etc. I think it's such a status thing and totally not worth it.

3. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Someone posted an expired American Express Centurion Card on eBay not too long ago, and the picture can be viewed here:

http://64.27.71.144/AmExCenturionBlack.jpg

Basically it looks like a Green Card that's been dyed with India ink. I guess that picture is the closest I'll ever get to one, LOL. If you're interested in browsing other listings in eBay's collectible credit cards category (I kid you not), click here:

http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/category1462/index.html

When AmEx launched the card about two years ago, they touted it this way:

NEW YORK, October 14, 1999 -- American Express today announced the introduction of the Centurionâ?¢ Card. The Centurion Card will be offered by invitation only to selected Platinum Cardâ?¢ members.

The black-colored Centurion Card offers customized personal service to help ease the busy and demanding lifestyles of cardmembers. It has been designed for individuals who travel frequently, entertain often and value single points of contact for service. The annual fee for the card is $1,000.

Here's the full press release that details other rights and privileges accorded Centurion Card members. It's an interesting read:

http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/latestnews/centurion_launch.asp

The Centurion Card requires perfect credit history, and you must already hold the Platinum Card. On top of that, you can only apply by invitation only, and the card is delivered by personal American Express courier, and the $1000 annual fee is billed immediately. Benefits include free upgrades to Concorde service when purchasing certain transatlantic flights and a few other similar life necessities. There is no mention of chartered helicopters to war zones; I just telephoned AmEx customer service, and -- after laughing at the suggestion -- the young man apologized and said AmEx can't charter flights into war zones even if you hold the Centurion Card.

Hope this helps, MP$40! Applying soon? :)

Doc

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe a little extreme, but the personal centurian (black) card offers:

- Elite (gold-level) status with most major airlines
    - Elite (gold-level) status with most hotel programs
    - wads of 1st class upgrades
    - companion upgrades
    - airport lounge access for NW, CO, US, and DL

For us road-warriors, this is worth $1k per year. One lounge membership is $300, upgrades are $200-$300 for a couple of trips... it all adds up...and Elite status gets you through the lines faster.

-mj

5. PsychDoc

Oops, I misread and answered the wrong question, LOL! You were asking about the corporate version of the American Express Centurion Card. Ack. Perhaps Fingrrrl's comments apply to that version. I've never heard of the Corporate Centurion Card.

Doc

6. Cadillac408

Yeah, I WISH! :-\

I wonder how much they sold the expired Black card for? I am so curious.

You posted that link to eBay before. I must admit, I check it once a week just to see what old cards people are selling! I didn't know it was that big of a deal. Now I've been taking up a collection of old cards myself. Maybe my AMEX Secured Optima card will be worth something, since it was never worth crap to begin with. I guess it's sort of like wine.....sometimes it has to age a bit before it's worth something! LOL...

7. PsychDoc

MP$40, I think it sold for around $20. I just saved the link to the photo, but the auction is long gone now. :)

Doc

8. Cadillac408

That is TOO BAD! I would of seriously bought it just to be able to hold it.....maybe file his name off and put my name there so I could do some perpetrating!!!!!! Just kidding.....but I still would of bought it. I love that card! It's my favorite. :)

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

With a fee of $1,000 I would think they could afford to give it to real "PEOPLE"...

CARRY A BALANCE @ 5.00% (PRIME)
    FREE BT
    $20,000 MINIMUM CREDIT LIMIT

$240,000/YEAR ON DISCOVERCARD OR AMEX PLAT CASH BACK OR AN AIRLINE CARD WOULD YIELD A BETTER RETURN THAN "BLACK"...(I THINK).

10. AZMDX

AZMDX Active Member

To qualify for the Corp Black card, you have to charge a minimun of 20,000.00 for 12 months prior being excepted. You can call Centurion Bank to be considered.

AZMDX

11. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Re: ebay card auctions!

Psych-

NICE LINK to ebay!!! I guess I'm glad I've kept all my old cards- they may be worth a buck or two now!

12. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Re: ebay card auctions!

I think GEORGE qualifies for this card! Go for it, GEORGE, they might not turn you down!

13. Saar

Saar Banned

The regular Centurion can also be applied for without invitation.

If you spend $150,000 a year on your Amex Platinum (mostly T&E), you can call Platinum CS, ask to speak w/ Centurion and say you'd like to be considered for the card.

Saar

14. PsychDoc

It's my understanding that AmEx is about to issue a new "T&A" card. I'm wondering how Membership Rewards will be enhanced to meet that objective.

Doc

15. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!

I hear Hooters is the underwriter.

16. roni

roni Well-Known Member

That's a fake pict... Look at the background/border. It's black when it should be white.

17. PsychDoc

18. Cadillac408

19. PsychDoc

Yep, MP$40, that's American Express's promotional sample pic -- they often use "JL Benjamin, member since 1958." Note also the lack of beginning and expiration dates. HEY -- AMERICAN EXPRESS IS POSTING FAKE PICTURES OF THE CENTURION CARD TOO! :)

Doc

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, but I don't think that one is real either... It has an imbedded color profile to swap colors. No smart chip!?! No member since...?!?

Doc: Did you do a google search for the images? Did you bother to run a translation webpage? Seems you get upgrades on the Concord, elite status with 4 major American airlines with the membership. Delta was charging $350 per pop for Crown Room memberships (if you have to pay). I guess an international exec could justify the stiff (AND I DO MEAN STIFF) $1000 membership fee.