Amex credit increase?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dani, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if applying for a credit line increase on Amex's website results in a hard inquiry or a soft inquiry? Thanks in advance.

Dani

2. the other

the other Well-Known Member

With my Blue card, it results in a hard inquiry.

Correction:
    If there is a pre-approved amount, then no inquiry. If I have to fill out the form with the requested amount, then it generates an inquiry.

Also, even though the form is available, you are not eligible for an increase unless it has been at least 6 months since the last increase. I can't get them to bend this rule.

3. Saar

Saar Banned

The Other: If you decide you're going to take a hard inquiry, you might as well apply for another Amex card & combine. Could get you a much higher increase, and bypass the 6-month rule.

Saar

4. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Thanks the other and Saar. I was just curious because when I call Centurion Bank I have never had an inquiry show up on my reports. Was just wondering if the online site worked the same way.
    I have another 3 months before I'm able to call them again for an increase. Maybe this time I can reach 10,000. :)

Dani

5. the other

I tried that too. I applied for the Optima Platinum. I was denied.

I don't really need the credit. It's just that when compared with everything else I have my 2500 limit on my Blue card just stinks!

The rep I spoke with before told me to call back in December (6 months after I got the measly 500 increase) and speak with someone about my situation, and try to get a better limit then.

So I really don't care a whole lot one way or the other, but in December if they don't co-operate, I just might close the card. I think having one less card will improve my credit score. (I've got quite a few).

6. Saar

Saar Banned

If you have an open tradeline for over 1 year, Amex is likely to reverse the denial. There is a M.O.R.E team in Amex New Accounts whose supervisors (not reps) are authorized to override credit denials of existing cardmembers. The # is 1-800-947-8192.

Saar

7. the other

I applied near the end of July. I had called, to check the status, found out it was declined, and spoke to a rep. The rep looked through all my info, said she couldn't see any reason for the decline. She said she would have a supervisor look at the application.
    For a few days, I called, and was told that the review was not complete. I did this all from work, so all the names of people and phone numbers were written down at work. But then I had a blood clot in my leg, and missed 2 1/2 weeks of work. While I was out, I didn't follow up because I didn't have my info (it was at work). Maybe, I'll call and see what ever became of that. I only received one letter from the initial application. All I know is they pulled my Equifax report. I don't know my score at the time, but I checked around mid-August and it was 697.