Amex credit increases

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Nov 19, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Hi all, I called Amex a few months ago and requested a credit increase on my Blue card (2500 current limit). I requested an increase of 2500 to bring the total limit to 5000. The rep told me he couldn't approve the increase at that time since I already got an increase ($500) last June and that I would have to wait till January to try again.

Does anyone know if they pulled a hard inquiry while checking my eligibility for a credit increase ? They never asked me for income, years at residence, etc.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I don't know, I have asked I don't know how many times IN TWO YEARS by FAX, by E-MAIL, by PHONE, by SNAIL-MAIL, by PFB...

I was told to apply on-line.

I was told they don't do "APPLICATION FREE~~INQUIRY FREE" increases!!!

And I was told the DON'T do AUTOMATIC increases, like "LOWER PRESTIGE" others do!!!

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

George,

Who have you been talking to at Amex? I called just this morning and asked for another increase. The rep was great and transferred me to Centurion Bank. They asked me how much and my household income and ...wham bam increase.

I have never had Amex pull a soft or a hard inquiry on me. They have always based it on my accounts with Amex. But, they do hold you to the six month wait. So I call every six months. I went from $2000 to $10000. In my opinion, they're the best.

Dani

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I HAVE CALLED...1-888-BLUE-741
    ...M.O.R.E. TEAM (SUPERVISORS) 1-800-947-8192
    ...M.C.S. (RETENTION) 1-877-286-5891

2 YEARS NOTHING!!!

DANI CALL FOR ME!!!

:)

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

George, that's the same # I call. I then press 0 and it transfers me to customer service. When the lady or gentleman answers I introduce myself and ask to apply for an increase. Some have replied that it will take 10-14 days to process it. I usually make something up because I need it now...going on a trip, buying a house, fill in the blank and they have always transferred me to their bank. The bank rep asks for my name and household income and how much I want and that's it. I can't complain I have always had courteous service from Amex and I have always gotten what I wanted. Which is probably why I like them so much. Discover...on the other hand.

Dani

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THAT IS FUNNY...I finally got a NO FEE BT 5.90% FROM DISCOVERCARD...but I can't get anywhere with AMEX...

I ALWAYS SAY I DON'T NEED TO APPLY FOR A LIMIT INCREASE...I WANT "PRE-APPROVED"...maybe that is my problem????

7. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Amex, has never pulled a report on me except the day I applied (hard inquiry) and once a year they do an AR. I check my reports every six months and Amex has never pulled my report(s) for a credit line increase. They must base it solely on your account standing with them.

Dani

8. jaj1701

jaj1701 Well-Known Member

I talked with Amex a short time ago concerning credit limit increases.

They will only do credit limit increases every 6 mos. It is based heavily on your yearly salary (or is at least a large factor on how high they will go). Be careful of when you call. If you call in the evening, you will be told 10 days or so. The fact is that Centurion Bank does all the credit line approvals, so if they're open, they can transfer you to them. If they are not open, it can take over a week. And the idiot working the night shift will probably not tell you that.

The other point is that the web site will many times offer you a $500.00 credit limit increase. If you accept it online, you cannot get more for 6 months. If you call or request more, you may get more but will get at least the $500 (according to the rep I spoke with). They may also ask you at the same time if you want your Cash Advance Limit raised as well.

Hope this helps

=====================
    Experian/Credit Expert = 784
    Equifax/FICO = 763
    TU = I forgot