AMEX Customer Service - Amazed

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Oct 6, 2000.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Jo, Jason - you will particularly like this one!

You all you know my story - got the AMEX Green Card after paying off an old debt balance in 79, and Chap 13 in 1996. They report to all agencies - its great.
    Get one if you can - and it is possible for AMEX to understand life changing past situations.

Check out my latest call to Amex:

I have 8 friends coming in from East Coast
    for a dinner at an expensive SF restaurant.
    I want to impress them completely. (In my opinion, its nice to pull out ANY AMEX Card.
    Sure Platinum is Great, but Green or Gold means the AMEX affluent cardholder chooses that Card for his or her own priorities.)
    I called the AMEX customer service on the Card.

They have an option where you can ask about future spending. Jo, Jason - keep reading!
    I think the dinner will be around $800 - but if someone orders a $200 bottle of wine, I need flexibility. But I can afford it and I do want them to have a wonderful San Francisco seafood meal experience.

I punched in $1500 and it said fine - no problem. BUT, since I just got the Card 7/00, I want no hassles of any sort at the restaurant! I transferred to a live representative. This guy was a GEM!

I explained the situation, and he told me he was in a different department - to help people with special requests.

He told me he had helped one man give advice about his iguana. The customer was happy, and a few weeks later the iguana was eating and had more space. I don't believe the customer bought anything - but he got IGUANA
    advice from customer service!

Back to business:
    I told him I wanted no hassles at the restaurant, then we continued to talk business but pleasure. I talked about my whole AIDS story, how I had paid off the old balance from 79, and how AMEX had trusted me and even helped me fix my credit report.
    I also told him that the internet business has been quite lucrative the last 3 years.

He said, "Let me look at a couple of things for you." He punched several keys and said,
    "Sir, you are considered a longtime cardholder. You have immediate access to charges for $4400 per charge without additional approval." (He was really fun too!)

Does that mean that I can charge as many $4400 charges per month I want? What is the real key to no pre-set limit? Either way,
    dinner is no worry, and AMEX thrilled me.

Then we talked more and about what I did in internet. I told him that I loved AMEX, but to be really delighted, I someday hoped to upgrade to GOLD without reapplying.

He looked and said probably January it would happen, then, he pulled out his calendar
    and marked the anniversary date (6 months)
    and would call me on that date to get the GOLD! I then said it didn't really matter - I was so delighted with the Green Card, please don't go to extra trouble for me.

We talked a while longer, then he said he might be able to help me get GOLD much faster, he needed to look at some things but, I don't know what will happen. But look
    at the superb service. The call lasted 15 or 20 minutes I'm sure.

What a wonderful company to deal with!
    Its SO different than anyone I have ever done business with. $55 annual fee - fine.

If I need to immediately do anything, anywhere, anytime, I now call AMEX.

I know a couple of you out there are just on the verge of receiving the Card. Keep talking to them. "When you're in you're in" - to quote another Bay Area GOLD Card member :)

Look at that flexibility - no lousy low credit spending RESTRICTIONS. NO ROADBLOCKS!

Will keep you posted, but let's face it - what other business have you ever called and been humored and fascinated with a hilarious iguana story!

Dogman

2. Jo

Jo Guest

RE: AMEX Customer Service - Am

LOL...yup...CS is great...I'm having trouble now, but they've been more than fair with me...I converted to Rewards Plus and was charged the fee, refunded the old ones, refunded the new $150 fee for RP, then rebilled all my original mem. fees...THEN, I got a call from a nasty, horrid @!#$ in verification telling me that I'm running my whole "operation" out of my PO BOX, and that my phone number wasn't verifiable...what a @!#$, huh? So anyway, I told her that my account was opened with my street address and I switched to a PO BOX b/c I don't like having financial documents @ home while I'm gone all day. I then told her that my number isn't listed. *THEN* she told me my house wasn't registered in my name (turns out the guy who lived here before me still shows on some sort of record)...and the house wouldn't be registered in mine, anyways, I'm renting this shitpit while my *NEW* house is under construction...(Dog & other Bay Area people know what a pain in the ass, long, drawn out process that is!). So then the ho said, "Fine. Good bye." Three or four minutes after the call, the insult hit...(she said some REALLY nasty @!#$...)so I called CS, demanded a supervisor, told them I wanted the Platinum card or I'm closing my account. They were accomodating and said they'd try their best (I doubt they'll do it, but c'est la vie) and I told them if they didn't do that, then I wanted a full credit for my membership fee...again "I'll see what I can do".
    So, I'll see what happens, but that @!#$ in verification may end up costing them the $4K a month I put on their card. If it does, I'll end up calling Corporate offices (I got the number from an angry ex-AmEx customer) and letting all hell loose at them.
    Any advice from AMEX rep?? Or Dog??

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Jeez - that's all I can think of this time of the morning - cup of coffee number 2 sitting here! Dogman

I guess what I can expect is if I get GOLD, I'll pay another fee.

4. Jo

Jo Guest

LOL...well, I don't know...these last few days have been an exception...I've places *PLENTY* of calls to them, and, I think we spoke to the same guy, because I've gotten GREAT CS people that have been so great (redundant, n'est-ce pas?) I've asked for their extensions so I can speak to them when I call, but that nasty excuse for a "woman" has made me seriously consider closing the account. And if they don't upgrade me, or give me a membership fee credit, that will be the 3rd time in the last week they've made me consider cancelling...3 strikes and *THEY'RE* out...at the same time, I'm not too keen on switching back to BofA...though they upped my credit line quite significantly to $28K! I'm sure that's more than AmEX will let me put on the card.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

In my experience with Amex, I get unhelpful reps only about 10% of the time. Still seems to be the lowest rate in the industry. If you happen to be transfered to one, just hang up and call again to speak with another. Always works for me.

BTW, Did that have anything to do with the phone # for New Accts that I had given you ? If so, what was the rep's name ? The rep I spoke with from N.A. was very understanding.

Saar

6. Jo

Jo Guest

Saar- yes, that number worked great, thanks! Actually, the rep was great, and that nasty B**** who called was calling because the new account was my 4th in the last 12 months and when I added additional card holders, a "semi-application" was created, so they had something like 10 applications and when they couldn't verify my telephone # and address, they called me that's how it started- thanks for the tip about transferring to different reps- I may be using that!
    How's the new AmEx working for you?! Mine are all running ok...with the mentioned exceptions! LOL...

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Jo wrote:
    "*THEN* she told me my house wasn't registered in my name"

Also, did she tell you HOW she learned this, or which database they've checked to verify house ownership ?

Saar

8. Jo

Jo Guest

LOL...looks like were here @ the same time! No, I asked where she got her information and she said "their verification system"- which is probably something like the phone book...:-D

9. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Dogman, you proved what I've always said about dealing with most customer service reps.

Keep in mind that customer service phone work isn't a very exciting job, so it's perfect for drippy people with the personality of a bottle of cold piss. You can detect these types by the monotone voice that sounds to be reading from a policy book--more robot than human. When you reach one of those people, just hang up. All you'll get is frustration and definately no answers.

However, if you keep calling back, you'll eventually connect with a real person with a real personality. This is a perfect opportunity to be a real person too and for two great personalities to interact.

Because these reps talk to far too many customers who are either on the defensive or the warpath before the conversation even begins (blame it on an overabundance of the cold-piss reps), they are usually thrilled to deal with a relaxed, friendly customer. Therefore, you're more likely to get some of the best customer service you've ever had, and they're more than eager to help you.

Dogman, you were that friendly, relaxed customer, and I'm sure that rep was more than happy to have been of such great assistance.

So, let's keep in mind RELAXED and FRIENDLY. Because this can only be of value when you reach a rep with a PERSONALITY, evaluate the rep's voice for a monotone, and if you hear one, HANG UP and CALL AGAIN. Because the queues can be full, and the wait can be very long, this can become VERY time consuming. Still, if you want answers or good service, it's well worth it.

10. Len

Len Guest

Relaxed and friendly usually works and I've had great results letting reps bask in the warmth of my winning personality.
    It did not seem to work as well, however, with the Cross Country reps:)

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Dogman! Hope you have a great visit with your friends. I also believe they will be duly impressed:)

12. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

Cool beans!! Thanks Dogman!

13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

As usual, extremely well done Doris!

Your point is CRITICAL!
    Call when you're relaxed, friendly, and let
    the REP know any answer is fine! Then talk.
    Then ask. Then give reason they want YOU. Then close.
    Dogman

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Len- you've won us all over with your winning smile and commentary.

Let's face it - you made "Lake of Fire" a landmark for receiving bill payments at CCB!
    Dog